Had a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My friend is under 50 but has various health problems, (some related to having her thyroid nuked). The e-bike makes the difference between being able to ride to work every day or only once in a blue moon. Plus that will help her general health by exercising regularly.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
My friend is under 50 but has various health problems, (some related to having her thyroid nuked). The e-bike makes the difference between being able to ride to work every day or only once in a blue moon. Plus that will help her general health by exercising regularly.
Yes i have found since getting my e cycle i use it more than i would my M T B.
There are no more hills and headwinds i now find myself going out just for the fun and exercise rather than having to go somewhere.
They certainly fill the gap between giving up cycling and cycling.:smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I have had a go on one and I must say I was very impressed indeed. I am finding it increasingly difficult to tackle the hills around here. Serves me right I suppose for living in the foothills of the Cambrian mountains.

Just lately my knees seem to be protesting a bit as well and I am seriously considering buying one. I want cycling to be fun and not a chore or something that I dread because of the terrain.

I'm beginning to convince myself to get one I think.:laugh:

DEFENDER01

Über Member
I have had a go on one and I must say I was very impressed indeed. I am finding it increasingly difficult to tackle the hills around here. Serves me right I suppose for living in the foothills of the Cambrian mountains.

Just lately my knees seem to be protesting a bit as well and I am seriously considering buying one. I want cycling to be fun and not a chore or something that I dread because of the terrain.

I'm beginning to convince myself to get one I think.:laugh:
When i asked the guy i bought mine from what were the downsides of having a e cycle.
He replied the only downside is you wont want to ride anything else. :bicycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've done several thousand miles on my ebikes and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

But there are some.

Ebikes are heavy, bowling along on one cannot quite match the pure cycling pleasure from riding a lightweight bicycle in favourable conditions.

Ebikes are also harder to manhandle at obstacles such as restricting gates on cycle paths.

A few steps are difficult to negotiate.

To give a small example, the Brighton ride I did recently with @ianrauk and chums finished with a flight of steps down to the beach to the chip shop.

Everyone else was able to walk/carry their bikes down the steps, but I was stranded at the top.

Fair play to the company, @StuAff offered me assistance to lift the bike, and @User pointed me in the direction of a ramp a little further along the seafront.

So not an insurmountable problem, but it does illustrate ebikes have their downsides.

.stu

Über Member
Trust me it is i now find myself looking for excuses just to go out.:smile:
+1 this!

simon.r

Person
My 82 year old father has just got back on his Giant Lafree e-bike after breaking his arm falling off his electric Brompton a few months ago:rolleyes:

He now informs me he's looking to spend £3k on a Specialized e-bike. If it enables him to get some fresh air, some exercise and a sense of mental well-being I'll happily forego a portion of my inheritance^_^

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Reading these comments it just shows how useless e bike firms are at advertising their products. The majority of people on here and the general public think that e bikes are only for the aged or infirm. That is not the case at all. They are great fun for everybody and they should be making sure everyone knows it.

Can you imagine giving this to 90 year old Mr Smith, with dicky ticker and knackered knees, to go to the corner shop for his milk?

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/02/17/1424184823699-3i7mp8lyt5xd-700-80.jpg

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Reading these comments it just shows how useless e bike firms are at advertising their products. The majority of people on here and the general public think that e bikes are only for the aged or infirm. That is not the case at all. They are great fun for everybody and they should be making sure everyone knows it.

Can you imagine giving this to 90 year old Mr Smith, with dicky ticker and knackered knees, to go to the corner shop for his milk?

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.imdserve.com/images/news/2015/02/17/1424184823699-3i7mp8lyt5xd-700-80.jpg
Well i guess like everything in this world you need to cater for all needs.
Although that particular one does seem about as much use as a cat flap in a submarine. :wacko:
It has no pedals. :sad:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Well i guess like everything in this world you need to cater for all needs.
Although that particular one does seem about as much use as a cat flap in a submarine. :wacko:
It has no pedals. :sad:

Popular as MTB during winter in Denmark. We have seen a cycle club from about 20 miles away riding them through the snow near us. It was about -9 degrees and the guys must have been all over 60 years of age. Again, I go back to the idea that electric bikes are not just for the elderly and the infirm. That TREK bike would be great for a days ride out in trails at any time of the year. Its an easy way to see countryside that you cannot see from the car and if you want to quicker than walking. It doesn't have to be about fitness, even though you do need to put some energy into it.

Top Bottom