had anyone gone faster/further with an electric bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Hilly windy commutes are where ebikes win, my commute is basically U shaped in elevation.
The morning commute takes me up a steepish hill that I manage on the road bike but using the ebike means I arrive at work not needing a shower, even more fun the last two days with overtaking standing traffic on it^_^ Evening commute is westwards with a different uphill section and often a battle against strong head/cross winds to the point that when not on the ebike the need to pedal hard going downhill can arise.

Last edited:
Although most ebikes clearly don't have the same top speeds as a carbon road racer on the flat, they can bump up your average speed if there's a lot of climbing, obviously extra weight isn't a penalty on descents either. They also save time showering either end of the commute, although you could argue that you need at least one shower a day anyway. Again, it all comes down to the kind of riding the individual does. I'm glad OP found something he likes. Can't go wrong with 105. :okay:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I got myself an eBike last month (Boardman ADV 8.9e), with a Fazua drive. I wanted something that'd let me start cycling through winter again (wide clearance to fit studded tyres and some assist to remove the dreaded, soul-sucking slogs into awful headwinds), but without the massive weight of the eMTBs with the Bosch/Yamaha motors. I live in a top-floor flat and didn't fancy giving myself a hernia lugging one of those up the stairs.

I've been riding it for the last couple of weeks to shake it down and get used to it before winter really sets in, and here are my observations of the less-powerful Fazua drive:

1. You'll still need to put in a fair bit of effort to get uphill. You can get away with less effort if you're prepared to slow right down and spin the pedals in a high cadence, as that's the way to get the best boost from the assist. You're not going to get away with climbing with almost no effort, which you would do using a more powerful eMTB-style drive system.

2. I haven't found it to be any less energetic or much faster over the length of my commutes. This is due to the fact that I've found that my usual speed for most of my ride is above the assist levels so it's not giving me any help most of the time. It's also heavier than my road bike, so the effort involved in keeping those speeds up is higher.

3. Where it does really help* is setting off from a standing start, or when you've scrubbed off a lot of speed and you're getting back up to speed from less than 15.5mph. The assist (even on its lowest level) really does take the strain out of getting going, so you don't tire your legs out if you do a lot of stopping and starting. That energy saved can go into keeping a decent pace up once you're really moving again.

Overall, although it was - for me - a hefty investment, it's proving to be a fantastic bike and I'm really looking forward to a great winter of commuting on it!

*EDIT - I should also have said that it's been an absolute boon into stiff headwinds. I can maintain a decent clip without totally wearing myself out or my seeing my speed dropping by half.

Last edited:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Can’t say I’m ready for an Ebike yet, however I have seen the difference it makes to someone with asthma and other health issues. It did enable said rider to start commuting again.
Each to their own and I suppose I’m seeing more and more on my commute which is a good thing as it means more people are choosing to bike commute!

First ride in this morning on my new Trek. My 10mph average pace just went up to 14.5 mph. I'm lucky to have some long unbroken climbs! If I put in a bit more effort or if I don't have to worry about slippery leaves, I'm sure I'll get closer to 15-16mph. I arrived to work panting, despite turbo assistance, I tried my best to keep pace after the motor cut out. Still got a great work out, just arrived much faster than I would otherwise. Loved it. Best (mechanical) thing I ever bought.

new job is a mile or two further. will an electric bike help? there are large chunks of the commute where my speed is below the 15mph that the electric motor would get me to.

i've been burned at the lights by many a chap with a battery pack on the downtube.

tia, all experience shared welcome...

I am not against e-bikes - but what are you trying to acheive here ? - Faster speed or getting to work using less energy ?

D

Deleted member 26715

I am not against e-bikes - but what are you trying to acheive here ? - Faster speed or getting to work using less energy ?
Does he have to be achieving anything? Not everything has to be competitive

Does he have to be achieving anything? Not everything has to be competitive
No of course not. Just the initial post implied his commute had gone up by 2 miles and he was considering an ebike because of this.

Would he have found the extra 2miles demanding ?or would it increase the duration of the commute beyond what is acceptable to the OP?

Slick

Guru
I could be wrong but I doubt the woman I see on an e bike most mornings in St Ives (Camb) would cycle the 13-15miles to Cambridge without one. She certainly wouldn't do it so fast. I was doing 20mph on the busway a few weeks back and she came flying by :laugh:
She's either on an illegal machine or passed you under her own steam then.

Top Bottom