had anyone gone faster/further with an electric bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
new job is a mile or two further. will an electric bike help? there are large chunks of the commute where my speed is below the 15mph that the electric motor would get me to.

i've been burned at the lights by many a chap with a battery pack on the downtube.

tia, all experience shared welcome...

G3CWI

Veteran
...so how far is the commute in total? Flat, hilly? Rural, urban? On road, off road?

Also do you have to carry the bike at any point (up stairs for instance)?

Last edited:

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
new job is a mile or two further. will an electric bike help? there are large chunks of the commute where my speed is below the 15mph that the electric motor would get me to.

i've been burned at the lights by many a chap with a battery pack on the downtube.

tia, all experience shared welcome...
A mile or two further is nothing and if you’ve been out accelerated at some lights then what does it matter, you’re commuting, not racing at the velodrome!
Save your money.

Skanker

All of my ebikes have been illegal, home built, overpowered and stupidly fast, right up to the 85mph recumbent trike in my profile pic, that put out more torque than a fiesta rs!
My commuter for work was 1500w and left cars at traffic lights with a top speed of 44mph.
I did live in the midlands then though and it’s easier to not get noticed riding through country lanes.
I had a 20 mile round trip for my night shift so needed help in the morning after 12 hours at work, but probably not that much help.
Marvellous for mega headwinds and the many beastly hills on the journey, but even with a superb £700 boost bikes battery it only just covered the 20 miles!
I would consider selling the electric setup i had on the recumbent if you really fancy leaving idiots and boy racers at traffic lights?

OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my user need is to get to the new job in about the same time as it took to get to my old one.

this could also be expressed as a desire not to get up any earlier.

the return route would certainly benefit from electric as it's uphill for the last 10km...

G3CWI

Veteran
my user need is to get to the new job in about the same time as it took to get to my old one.

this could also be expressed as a desire not to get up any earlier.

the return route would certainly benefit from electric as it's uphill for the last 10km...

I have a vague recollection that you commute from Macc to Manchester? If so the round trip should be doable on an ebike with a reasonable battery. I doubt that you would find it that much faster due to the top-speed restriction but you would certainly find it a lot easier. Overall I have found mine is slower than a light carbon road bike. Ebikes accelerate very quickly but soon top out - hence your experience at lights.

Bear in mind that the weight of most ebikes makes carting them up steps/stairs rather hard work. I'm an ebike users as of this Monday!

Last edited:
OP
OP
alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the bike i'm looking at does not limit the too speed, just the level of assistance.

on the odd occasion i've ridden my carbon bike, it's been faster overall but with no strava best times along the route.

i often commute with the added weight of two work laptops. oddly there's no correlation between the bike being heavier and slower times...

Slick

Guru
I'm a big fan of ebikes even though I don't have one but Mrs Slick does but she doesn't commute. A mate recently bought one and talked about his usual 10 mile loop that used to be hard work has now turned into a fun 15 miles that still gets his heart pumping, which is the real benefit to ebikes. I commute 15 miles each way and whilst an ebike would get me home the last 3 miles uphill a bit quicker and easier, overall I reckon I'm faster on my own. That said, I don't do it every day and if I had to an ebike would be a must.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
new job is a mile or two further. will an electric bike help?

Help with what? It will help you get to work feeling more energized for the day on less breakfast and possibly negate the need for a shower. It will do the opposite for your weight, fitness, bank balance and ability to carry it up steps.

Wrt speed it depends on how fit the rider is.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSK

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
All of my ebikes have been illegal, home built, overpowered and stupidly fast, right up to the 85mph recumbent trike in my profile pic, that put out more torque than a fiesta rs!
My commuter for work was 1500w and left cars at traffic lights with a top speed of 44mph.
I did live in the midlands then though and it’s easier to not get noticed riding through country lanes.
I had a 20 mile round trip for my night shift so needed help in the morning after 12 hours at work, but probably not that much help.
Marvellous for mega headwinds and the many beastly hills on the journey, but even with a superb £700 boost bikes battery it only just covered the 20 miles!
I would consider selling the electric setup i had on the recumbent if you really fancy leaving idiots and boy racers at traffic lights?
I hope they were registered, you wore a motorbike helmet and had the correct VED and insurance as per the rules ?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Are you being ironic here or did you actually type that with a straight face?

Skanker

Are you being ironic here or did you actually type that with a straight face?

It was meant as a bit of humour, that setup is highly illegal on the road and very dangerous on any bike.
I only used it on a legit motorcycle tarmac racetrack and a motorcross dirt track.
It would require heavy body armour and a proper crash helmet before riding and even then I wouldn’t recommend it without a few changes of underwear in your panniers.

Top Bottom