Had the fright of my life today...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
.... for a period of about 0.0001 seconds. i felt sick.

My work's coach goes down the M40 and pulls off at Leamington. the junction's always busy, and to be honest a bit dodgy. it's close to another junction and people utilise the hard shoulder to queue back onto because it's a bit safer. sometimes, if it's busy, you're left sitting in the first lane in your car until a gap opens up in the queue on the hard shoulder.

i was on the work's coach , listening to my ipod, not really taking any notice of what i was looking at, looking out the window, thinking about how i wished i was on my bike.

anyway, i'm sitting on the coach about 3 seats back from the driver. we are in the queue on the hard shoulder, and there is a car in the first lane waiting to join, not that i was really taking much notice, i was just aware of it, until....

... a HUGE lorry rushes past at about 60 or 70 mile per hour. ;)

it was the worst split second scare i've ever had. :smile: right up until the point the lorry "ploughed through" the car as if it was a ghost... and then i realised that what i could see in the window was a reflection of the windscreen and a car that is in front of the windscreen. it's so clear that it actually looks like a car sitting in the first lane.

PHEW!!!! the whole thing took a split second, because the gap between the lorry when i saw it and the car must have been no more than about 8 feet, which don't take long to cover when your going that fast! it wasn't like i even had time to think about it, but it made me feel so sick. and the relief was immense.

Melvil

An almost hallucinatory experience! Must have been well scary!

longers

Legendary Member
Did anybody else see it or was it one of those extra-ordinary things that you are sole witness too and when you try to explain it you come across as a bit daft?

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
longers said:
Did anybody else see it or was it one of those extra-ordinary things that you are sole witness too and when you try to explain it you come across as a bit daft?

it was just me that saw it. felt a bit stupid so didn't say anything, but then i told the guy who came to fix my bike and he was laughing before i even finished the story... turned out he had an exact same experience once, only his was what seemed like what was gonna be a head on crash. don't feel so stupid now.

thing was, even after when i looked at the reflection, and it was so clear, i couldn't see any of the car's that were in front of it in the queue. the reflection had only picked out that one car, which i suppose is why i thought it wasn't a reflection of the queue in front.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you drive a Land Rover you will know that all the glass is flat and that sometimes, at night, in your mirror you see the headlights of the car coming towards you reflected in the rear window. Doesn't half shake you up until you've got used to it.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
yorkshiregoth said:
Don't watch Final Destination then :smile:

;)

right, i'm not catching the coach to work now! i'll walk if i have to!

Top Bottom