Hadrian's Cycleway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclesim

Hi all,

I am am new to this forum, but have been back cycling for 4 years now, road and mountain biking.

I have completed the London to Brighton and London to Cambridge for charity and also attempted the Chiltern Cycleway and had to give in because of the weather. I have also completed a few sportives. Due to have 3 young children I am finding it hard to cycle as much as I would like.

I am am looking to get a team together for the London to Paris in July, but finding it hard to get interest in this.

I was wondering if any of you have cycled the Hadrian's Cycleway? If so if you have done this in 1/2/3/4/5 days? I think it is about 180 miles.

http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/

I am am looking to open a Cycling B&B somewhere in the country and Carlise area seems to be around half way mark, so a B&B in an area that is required. Porridge for breakfast, evening meal, massage offered for aching legs and bikes racks on the walls. Also I would have cycling books and magazines and hope it would be a place where cyclists would want to stop off.

if any of you have stopped in a B&B what did you feel was good, but was missing? I have found that cycles seem unwelcome in most places and let's face it, we are protective over them.

Please de let me know your thoughts and if you are interested in a team to do the London to Paris.

Thanks
Kev

Sandra6

Veteran
I've never ridden the Hadrian's route, but I know a few who have and Carlisle isn't really a natural stopping point. There are already several popular b&bs along the way where cyclists are welcome so I'm not sure you'd be providing anything new.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Hi all,

I am am new to this forum, but have been back cycling for 4 years now, road and mountain biking.

I have completed the London to Brighton and London to Cambridge for charity and also attempted the Chiltern Cycleway and had to give in because of the weather. I have also completed a few sportives. Due to have 3 young children I am finding it hard to cycle as much as I would like.

I am am looking to get a team together for the London to Paris in July, but finding it hard to get interest in this.

I was wondering if any of you have cycled the Hadrian's Cycleway? If so if you have done this in 1/2/3/4/5 days? I think it is about 180 miles.

http://www.cycle-routes.org/hadrianscycleway/

I am am looking to open a Cycling B&B somewhere in the country and Carlise area seems to be around half way mark, so a B&B in an area that is required. Porridge for breakfast, evening meal, massage offered for aching legs and bikes racks on the walls. Also I would have cycling books and magazines and hope it would be a place where cyclists would want to stop off.

if any of you have stopped in a B&B what did you feel was good, but was missing? I have found that cycles seem unwelcome in most places and let's face it, we are protective over them.

Please de let me know your thoughts and if you are interested in a team to do the London to Paris.

Thanks
Kev

:welcome:
Indoor bike storage.

Plus tools on site so I don't have to haul too much of my kit.

Hi @Cyclesim , can't help you myself as only rode the coast to coast (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) and the stopover was Alston.
When you mentioned Carlisle as the half-way, what are your two end points?
As @Sandra6 mentioned, Carlisle isn't normally the natural stop, as most people ride Workington or Whitehaven to Tynemouth ( or vise versa), so assuming you are starting at Holmrook or Tynemouth?
I'll see if my FIL knows of any such, as he is a prolific rider.

Tony

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Maybe if the B and B offered a service where guests could send parcels of clothes and kit to you when they set off on their tour, then they could be sent back as they leave. You could include the postage in the room fee as a marketing gimmick?

Sandra6

Veteran
@TonyEnjoyD the Hadrian's route starts at ravenglass and follows the coast/ wall through maryport, port Carlisle and through Carlisle rather than the more traditional route.
Riders tend to stop before or after Carlisle though.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've done it twice, avoided a stay over in Carlisle first time, but last year with a group of 7 from work we did stay over in Carlisle. We had a van for bike storage, so that wasn't an issue, but would certainly be a positive if you had room to safely store bikes. Might be a lot of competition in Carlisle though, we ended up staying at Ibis in centre for less than £20 each

Totally agree there is plenty of competition in Carlisle and not necessarily a main stop off point for the hadrians route but if you are looking to do this then secure bike storage is an absolute must. I've stayed in Carlisle once but that was when doing the reivers route I think?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi all,

I am am looking to open a Cycling B&B somewhere in the country
Kev

I don't believe there is any route with sufficient numbers of passing cyclists to support a stand alone bed and breakfast.

A cyclist-friendly b&b could work, but you would need to attract non-cycling guests as well.

Longer distance touring cycling is very seasonal, you could go for weeks in the winter without seeing a rider, let alone one who wants to stop overnight.

Take a look at Parkhead Station on the C2C route, that has a cafe as well which I suspect is where most of income comes from.

http://www.parkheadstation.co.uk/

Maybe you need to attract the person who wants to tour but does not want to carry touring kit. So that person would book in for a week say Saturday to Saturday and use the rail links between Carlisle / Newcastle / Ravenglass for day rides. For arguments sake say: Day one: Train to Whitehaven ride to Ravenglass train back to Carlisle.
Day two: Train to Whitehaven Ride back to Carlisle
Day three Ride to Haltwhistle Train Back to Carlisle
Day four Train to Haltwhistle ride to Hexham train back to Carlisle
Day five Train to Hexham ride to Newcastle Train back to Carlisle.
This could also apply to walkers using the HWT.
I do think that Carlisle is vastly underrated as a tourist hub, thanks mainly to it's inept city council.

Top Bottom