Hadrian's cycleway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Mrs cisamcgu and I are off on the tandem for a 3 day trip along the route from Bowness to Newcastle - I can't wait :smile:

I will write it up on Crazyguy .. I just need to think of a title - Hmmm..

"Veni, Vidi, Velo"
"Friends, Romans, Countrymen, lend me your wheels"
"The wheeling that men do"

Choices, choices ...

See you next week !

Hyslop

Veteran
Well then,I ll keep an eye out for you!Never seen a tandem on the Western end-you may be the first!When you get onto Burgh Marsh the cattle that get in your way understand basic Anglo-Saxon,dont worry about the Latin^_^.Heres hoping that you enjoy yourselves.

HelenD123

Guru
I'm just back from doing the Hadrian's Cycleway, Ravenglass to South Shields. We did it in 2 and half days so had a hilly 70 mile middle day but we all managed fine. It's fun getting the ferry at the end. I've never seen one with a Sustrans sign on it before!

Bicykell

I live just outside Carlisle and fancy An Adventure. Hadn't thought of this but it sounds perfect. 3 days and I can get the choo choo back. Roaming the Roman Road.

I decided to plan a route that took in a few historic churches and abbeys on the way

A tip..... look at route contours

All the churches seemed to have a long uphill back to the route.

Bicykell

.....he never mentioned the midges. That's what a gloaming has more than roman, lassies and Bonnie banks of Bonnie and Clyde.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Got back yesterday, and will write it up properly, but basically a brilliant time. The tandem performed flawlessly, navigation was a breeze (the route is terribly well sign-posted), and the wind was behind us all the way. I was suprised how steep it was in parts, only short climbs, but very steep - maybe climbing on a tandem really is harder than a single ?

Andrew

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
maybe climbing on a tandem really is harder than a single ?

Andrew

I believe it's supposed to be.

Something to do with not being able to match the pedal input between the two of you.

So a notional 'perfectly matched team' on a tandem could probably climb quite well.

Some tandems have each pair of pedals set at different angles in a bid to smooth out the effort.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
You may be right, it was definately harder than I expected considering that the climbs were only short. The upside however, was that as long as we had a good run at them, and built up enough speed, our momentum (which considering our joint mass was considerable :smile: ) would carry us a long way upwards :bicycle:

We are already planning a short jaunt over to Belgium/Netherlands for August - nice and flat :tongue:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A mate is keen on doing the Hadrian's Cycleway, so I hope you get around to writing a report.

One of our proposed group does not like stopping away very long, so the talk is of doing it over one night - two cycling days.

It's about 175 miles I believe, so two days looks too big an ask to me.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
We only did Solway to Tynemouth - we missed out on the ride up the Cumbrian coast - it totalled 175km, which is roughly 110 miles, we did this over 3 days but realistically could have done it over 2 if we wanted.

Top Bottom