Hadrian's Wall

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have been thinking about cycling along Hadrian's Wall or close to it. What's it like? Is it hilly? What accommodation like? I was considering taking a tent, but if it is very hilly then that would be no fun.

Lookrider

Only hilly onbtge middle bit where the wall is
Hills start just after the lanercost priory which you must stop at for coffee
Climbs called banks and will put you on the rd next to the wall remains until birdoswald museum
A climb out on the rd
The biggest climb is out of green heads but is on a cycle lane off thecdrs do you are free to stop safely
After that its rolling from halty to the highest point called crinkeldykes just after the vindalonda roman fort
Long downhill then into hexham then short climb out of corbridge
Theres a few camping areas around halty and there's the new youth hostel at once brewed
It's all.on quiet rds and the last 20miles off rd on hard pack or tarmac surface
The whole route doable one rd bike
I'd advise going through the tyne tunnel cycle way for an experience andcridexalongvthe south side of the tyne to finish at arbiea roman fort in south shields

I have been thinking about cycling along Hadrian's Wall or close to it. What's it like? Is it hilly? What accommodation like? I was considering taking a tent, but if it is very hilly then that would be no fun.

You can make it longer by starting on the Cumberland coast at Ravenglass; that is mostly flattish as it goes along the west Cumberland coast then along the Solway coast before it gets to Carlisle. A surprising amount of Roman stuff all the way along the coastline. But don't forget it's quite likely to be wetter and windier than anything you get down in Reading so you might want to mix camping with one or two B&Bs for drying-out purposes ...

Lookrider

It's a great weekend away route
But I'm assuming you will not know this as you are not local
The only part you actually RIDE alongside the wall is from banks to birdoswald museum
At the top of the greenheads climb another museum is walltown...you can ride around the wall areas here unofficially and on a mtb bike

To see the wall in its glory you need to overnight in the area and then walk the wall
Theres dedicated tourist bus transport that goes back n forth along the wall area if you do elect a day off the bike
O
After the wall area the route puts you onto the river and well away from the "wall"
The local council at Newcastle are now in motions of diverting this for walkers as the straight wall obviously went through the city and houses now ontop etc ,,but there is still sporadic remains amongst the shops and houses..even in some gardens now
The sustrans route takes you on the stanegate roman supply rd to the south of the wall
This is a vert quit and good cycle rd but not really next to the wall
The hadrian's way map has all this detail in it and as its rural area I think it be easy to organise your plan
Ordnance survey maps are land ranger 87
Explore 43
I have the Sustrans route map I can post off to you if you wish and I can highlight a couple unofficial mtb tracks that are not legally bike trax ( ssh)

Attachments

• 16529455181326986946614685071358.jpg
    16529455181326986946614685071358.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 3

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
There is a YHA or there was at Greenhead and Once Brewed. Once Brewed is near Housesteads and Vindolanda Roman museums and well worth a visit. Nice section of wall to walk next to as well. Some roads steeper than others but not for long.

Jackslad

Did this last year on a well loaded Genesis TdF10 - very heavy. Newbie error in taking too much, with the intent of a night stop B&B and a night stop camping.
Train from Preston to Ravenglass, with little hassle except the lift for rolling the bike between platforms was out of action due to flooding. Fortunately, I had assistance from station staff, who were very helpful and managed to get the bike to the right platform.
Change at Barrow-in-Furness for Ravenglass then out onto the route, intending to get to Bowness-on-Solway for the B&B. A quick run down to the Roman ruins near the station (just past the Camping & Caravan Club site), then back to the main road to join the route proper. A great day weather wise, with little in the way of problems navigating. The only real issue was at Sellafield, by the nuclear plant, where the route goes under the bridge by the river - it was washed out and needed a push along to go under and round. Not really a problem normally but did I mention that the bike was heavy?
The rest of the day was spent in glorious sunshine, all the way to B-o-S where I had a great room at the hotel - ground floor so could wheel the bike in without a problem.
Fabulous breakfast and good weather for the cycle through Carlisle (very easy to navigate and a pleasant run through parkland) then on to Once Brewed where I stayed at a campsite near to the pub -Twice Brewed, and the very modern YHA Hostel (The Sill).
As previous poster mentioned, the hill at Greenhead was tough but there's a segregated path so it was hike a bike to the top. Then onto the Roman Museum camp and I did a bit of cross country - with fabulous scenery - to get back onto the military road to the campsite (Winshiels) - a very helpful owner and the site was more than adequate - showers and kitchen are available to brew and cook.
I went to the pub, just a few hundred metres along the road for evening meal and a couple of beers to celebrate a great day cycling. Unfortunately, I managed to strain a calf muscle on the walk, I suspect it was because of the efforts of the day and pushing the bike up Greenhead!! This meant I bailed for the next day, the last leg to Tynemouth, as it was too painful to carry on. Luckily, it was an easy downhill ride to Bardon Mill, where I got trains back to Preston then back home.

Forward on a few weeks, recovered from the injury and I returned, by car to the Sill Youth Hostel, leaving the car and finishing the ride to Tynemouth. A short stop to take in the scenery then cycle back to Newcastle for the train to Haltwhistle (Bardon Mill stops are intermittent) and ride back to The Sill. Very comfortable stay, for only £37 and another meal and a few beers at the pub which is just across the car park, so very easy to manage after the beers!
After a good breakfast at the YH, back in the car for home.
All in all, a great trip and one I'll do again before long. Take less stuff - definitely - and take more pictures. If the weather is kind, the scenery is fantastic and the route has many miles of traffic free paths and low traffic roads. All in all, I would recommend giving this a go.

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I bought the Sustrans map. It looks quite do-able, just follow the route 72 signs. I am thinking of taking a week off to do it so I can visit the museums and whatnot. I see St Bees is near the start. There used to a sort of theological college there, a sort of technical college for Church of England clergyman who could not go to Oxford or Cambridge. A week is a long time to cycle 171 miles, but I would also like to see Lindisfarne while I am up there. Do you think it is risky to not book ahead if I go camping? Hostelling it still seems tricky at the moment.

Lookrider

I wouldn't like to say how risky it is for you
So I guess to book ahead incase
Lindusfarne is a bit off course and is tidal crossing so you must plan that and I would book that as there's not a lot of hotels there and it is popular in high season
You may want to look at the SANDSTONE WAY and divert to that at hexham ..this will take you to st cuthberts cave as well as towards lindisfarne ... but beware it's a route accustomed to mtb bikes
You will be in very rural countryside on the sandstone lots of short climbs over bumpy terrain and bumpy farm fields
Tbe hadrian's finish on east coast will mean s ride up the coast towards lindisfarne
It's not as rural but you will pass nice villages
Amble then in warkworth castle home of a brave geordie ( almost) warrior called harry Hotspur visit the hermits cave where a knight lived for years ...almouth ...craster ..embleton dunstanburgh castle
Seahouses fir a trip to the farne islands via boat
Bambugh castle and beach ( fantastic)
Grace darling museum onto holy island
There be more info on sustrans coast n castles routes

Sorry I'm likely only complicating what you wish to do now in 1st place ...to much to do and see up north

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I was thinking of doing this in July, but now I am worried about the rail strike, as I would have to get up there by train.

Top Bottom