Haha road/place names?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not far from Settle there's a place called Wham, which sounds very unYorkshire.

Never been there (don't think there's much there) but it's very close to a regular route of mine so will visit soon/pay homage I think.

I don't imagine it's very George Michael.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Sadky, I can't ride there and get a photo, but if I rode to Buntingford I'd go through Nasty. My local CTC runs an Ugley Nasty ride each year.
In France I once rode a good few miles uphill, into the wind to get to Ferques. Which is pretty much what I said when I finally got there...

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Ginge, near Wantage.

Bell End, a well-known one near Belbroughton in the West Midlands and familiar to anyone who's been on a Beacon RCC club run to Stourport.

The very rudest road name near here is Cumnor Rise Road on the way into Oxford

Is this real?

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
A well-known one from France. I have never been to this town, but I believe the locals have exploited the situation by setting up an appropriately themed museum aimed at passing anglophones:

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
There is a Booze and a Crackpot in the Yorkshire Dales.
Until 2009 there was a Butthole Road in Conisborough,Doncaster.

800px-Butt_Hole_Road_tourists.jpg

The residents got the street renamed Archers way after years of complaints:rolleyes:

Penistone in Barnsley also gets a laugh out of some people.(there's also a rude local saying regarding Penistone and Scunthorpe).

This in York amuses me:-
whip%20ma1.jpg

The sign is almost as long as the actual road!!!

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well sort of. There's a Bradley Lane in Ecclestone not far from Wiggo's house. There's also a Wiggins Lane in Holmeswood which isn't far away. We ride both of them regularly.

We used to see him a lot but it must be 2-3 years since he last zipped past in a whirr of legs.

Last edited:
Well sort of. There's a Bradley Lane in Ecclestone not far from Wiggo's house. There's also a Wiggins Lane in Holmeswood which isn't far away. We ride both of them regularly.

We used to see him a lot but it must be 2-3 years since he last zipped past in a whirr of legs.
That reminds me...I must go and get a shot of my bike next to Wiggo's gold post box. I presume you know he has two?

Penistone in Barnsley also gets a laugh out of some people.(there's also a rude local saying regarding Penistone and Scunthorpe).
You'll be landing on Clitheroe soon.
For years microsoft word used to insist that anyone who typed it meant something else.
Of course not many people know where clitheroe is, let alone how to find it, so i was a bit surprised when microsoft eventually sorted it.

Top Bottom