Hairy Pooter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MsMalfoy

I've got to get a copy for me and one for my son as he says he can't even wait the day or so it will take me to read it before he gets his paws on it.
I prefer the books to the movies but have really enjoyed the films too, they are getting better but by necessity they are having to stray further from the books as each movie is made due to simple time constraints. It is frustrating for fans at times though.
I'm fortunate that I've an aquaintance who is a cast member, he's as eager to find out what happens in the new book as I am!

Oh well only a few hours to go now.

Pete

I think Col has made the point: sci-fi buffs (like myself) will look on the HP genre as another strand of 'soft' sf-fantasy stuff, and won't think of it as kid's stuff at all. I read the first HP when I was fifty. I don't think the series has [pompous]boosted my level of intellectual capacity nohow[/pompous], but I do like a bit of entertainment!

What caused me to take a long time to pick up the first book? Seeing that all the titles begin "Harry Potter and the...", that's what. Makes them look like a children's series after all. I'd rather that JKR had titled them merely "The Philosopher's Stone", "The Chamber of Secrets" etc. etc. But maybe she wouldn't have piled up her oodles of godzillions if she'd done that!

MsMalfoy

I was originally introduced to HP due to my having been a Tolkien fan since my early 'teens. Back in about 1998/9 when the Lord Of The Rings movies were being speculated about there was a lot of camparison being made between LotR and HP in the media and I thought I'd better read the Harry Potter books that were available at the time so that I could slag them off honestly.
Little did I know I'd become totally smitten!

Yes, very different to Tolkien but great nonetheless.

Big Bren

I'm confused - being an adult sci-fi/fantasy fan makes Barry Trotter required reading? There's so much outstanding adult stuff out there, why would you need to resort to reading kids books for your fantasy fix? Check out KJ Parker, Steve Cockayne or best of all Steven Erikson, who I reckon is producing the most original epic fantasy writing of recent years.

Those (and other grown-up) authors have the added bonus of being available in normal book shops and at reasonable prices, without the need to que up in a supermarket with hordes of whiny children and poor people.

Bren

Pete

Nobody's called it 'required reading' - although every book that ever existed is going to have its fans - someone, somewhere. Compulsive reading - yes I'd admit to that. That woman knows perfectly how to hold her masses, her global clientele, loyal - how to plant just the right sort of cliffhanger - unanswered question - call it what you will - at the end of each preceding volume, to draw them all in again when volume n+1 comes out... This may sound cynical, but I don't begrudge her her billions (just shelled out £5 for a copy, she won't get much dosh out of me...). Far rather that someone amasses a fortune from the entertainment business, which is what this is, than by filling our streets with 4x4s - or fags - or cocaine...

I'm an old cynic, but I'm going to get down and read that book all the same...

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Ok, so you've had 18 hours to read it, who dies?

Cycles for the hills...:tongue:

Emu

Give us a chance. Some of us have important things to do on saturdays like being taxi driver to their kids who have a far better social life than their mother. I've read the 1st chapter. Only another 35 to go:sad:

col

Legendary Member
Big Bren said:
I'm confused - being an adult sci-fi/fantasy fan makes Barry Trotter required reading? There's so much outstanding adult stuff out there, why would you need to resort to reading kids books for your fantasy fix? Check out KJ Parker, Steve Cockayne or best of all Steven Erikson, who I reckon is producing the most original epic fantasy writing of recent years.

Those (and other grown-up) authors have the added bonus of being available in normal book shops and at reasonable prices, without the need to que up in a supermarket with hordes of whiny children and poor people.

Bren

I agree there is loads of outstanding stuff out there,but like i said i havnt and probably wont read the books,just like i havnt read the lord of the rings books,but enjoyed the films big time,or star wars(if there are books?) ect ect,aliens,willow,silent running,armageddon,fifth element,the list is endless,oh and the harry potter films too;).My point is if we enjoy the entertainment and fun of the films whats the problem,peoples tastes differ,now if we were on about barney the dinosaur i could understand your er hang on,i used to like that when my son was a baby,now where are those tapes?:biggrin:

Bigtallfatbloke

...My son is on Page 500 ish already..it only arrived this morning....jus tanother 107 to go and he'll be wanting her to write another book

Top Bottom