Half iron man, Triban 3 or GT GTR Series 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RossB

Hi guys,

So a client of mine has persuaded me to do a half iron man next year! Serious training is to be done.
A little bit about me, i am a PT/fitness instructor, so fitness is what i do however this is a whole new area to me, so a lot to learn!

After spending hours looking around at bikes, i am torn between these two. This is my first, but it shall be used throughout this year/ in next years big event!

Which one would you recommend? If you have any other recommendations, that would be great. My limit at this time is £500.

Ross

goody

Veteran
If I had £500 to spend I'd want at least a nine speed groupset sora tiagra etc. Have you had a look at chain reaction or ribble?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Bottom end of Specialized or Trek range are difficult to fault for.
Triban 3 is getting some rave reviews. Real big difference is in the shifters. Triban 3 has Shimano 2300 which have a rather awkward thumb shifters for up (or down on the other side), and brake levers for the other way. GT has the little known microshift controls, which are not as robust in design and may trap fingers when braking, but are probably a bit more ergomonic. If you have a chance, have a good look and a test ride to help you decide.

Arsen Gere

Über Member
On the training front, I'd start as soon as possible to find out whats going to break. Being gym fit and tri fit are very different, I am sure you know but I feel better having said it.

OP
OP
RossB

RossB

Thanks for the feedback guys. Looked into a Specialized bike: Langster 2012 Road Bike, specs look even better!

Arsen, i totally agree. This is a whole new area for me, going into it knowing that it is going to be damn hard and my cardiovascular fitness isn't my strength! Already started on the running part, need to get this bike thing going!!

Broadside

Guru
The Specialized Langster is a single speed/fixed gear bike, pretty unsuitable for tri/ironman type stuff. I would recommend something with gears instead!

stephen.rooke

boardman road race might be a good option. for £500 it might be worth looking to get a used bike. should be able to get something decent

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Thanks for the feedback guys. Looked into a Specialized bike: Langster 2012 Road Bike, specs look even better!

Arsen, i totally agree. This is a whole new area for me, going into it knowing that it is going to be damn hard and my cardiovascular fitness isn't my strength! Already started on the running part, need to get this bike thing going!!

This could be fun, then!

I'd agree that a Boardman Team Carbon is probably more your thing, or at the very least, a Boardman Race. I guess that you aren't often seen using lower grade equipment (although the Triban 3 is very good).

You also need to find some cycling friends or join a club to learn how to ride better. High cadence is useful, but could go against your natural strength inclination, so you need to find a happy compromise, and friends will help you get that. As will looking at what else will help, i.e. clothing, fuelling, drinking (water, whilst cycling, of course), puncture repairs, tri bars, tyre pressures, etc. There is a lot to learn.

Top Bottom