Halfords Bike Purchase

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chr15b

Über Member
I posted on here a few months back about converting my Planet X RT-58 to flat bar and following some good advice I decided not to do this and decided to buy myself a flat bar road bike or hybrid.

Having looked at a few options I decided on the Boardman Team Hybrid, I found it in stock fairly locally at Halfords for £630 but found it on another website for £550. I called Halfords and they confirmed a print of the website page on collection they'd match the lower price.

I opted for Halfords to assemble the bike and placed the order online. About an hour after this I got a call asking when I'd like the bike - they'd offered to build it immediately for same day collection, I said the next day was fine and commented on a previous Halfords build I had issues with scratches on the frame - they committed to ensuring the bike would be built without a mark on it.

Having a crazy week at work I asked my wife to go and collect the bike, from the Irvine store in North Ayrshire which is about a 30 minute drive from us. When she did so they had the bike waiting and provided her an opportunity to check the condition to ensure it wasn't marked at all, they matched the £550 price with no issue and offered to take it out and load it into the car for her.

Sure enough when my wife came home the bike was perfect, I done the mandatory prep (Removal of reflectors, bells, stickers, etc) then went to check the tightness of the bolts and QR skewers and everything is great. Pleased with the assembly of the bike, pleased with how the staff were in the store and over the phone.

I appreciate that Halfords don't always get a great reputation and wanted to share this with others. They did however scratch a previous bike of mines (Braehead, Glasgow store) as did Evans Cycles (Xscape, Glasgow store) my other bikes have been online orders that I've assembled myself.

Depending on the road surface, looking forward to my first miles of 2017 in the morning!

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I bought my Boardman from Halfords in Llandudno last July, their service was A1. When I took the bike back 6 weeks later for its first free service, they checked it in front of me with no hassle. Personally, I can't fault them, they were very good and helpful.

RickB

professional procrastinator
Remember you can get 10% off everything in halfords if you become a British cycling member! :okay: Wouldn't have worked when price matching of course bit still worth keeping in mind.

OP
OP
chr15b

chr15b

Über Member
Good to know about the BC discount, I too thought Price Match would be exempt.

Cool post, OP.

I might look at one of those bikes from Halfords. PS: got a link your previous post as to why you wanted to convert to flatbar (or maybe just post here).

Sure, here is a link;

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/convert-105-roadie-to-flat-bar.210246/

In summary, I found myself not enjoying my Planet X road bike as much as I wanted to and think the dropped bars and riding position may have been the reason behind it. I did consider converting my PX to a flat bar but it seems it isn't that straight forward. A quick sit on the Boardman and it feels comfortable - I'll take it out for a few miles this morning.

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I bought an mtb from halfords back in the day for my first foray back into cycling. Bought and paid for a bike but had to wait a week for it to be built. Upon collection (a) the bike wasn't the one i picked and paid for (b) there were massive scratches and areas on the chainstay where it looked like someone had taken a power sander to the frame and cut through all the paintwork and gave the aluminum underneath a good buffing with it.

The sales assistant tried to convince me it was the bike i ordered and paid for but they weren't even the same colour let alone the same brand.

He continued to try to convince me the bike was mine for another 15mins. Even going as far as offering me quite a hefty refund to make me take the bike. When i was about to ask to speak to the manager he gave up allowed me to pick another bike and gave me £30 worth of stuff for free, hi-viz, puncture repair kits, chain lube and a few other bits and pieces.

I dont think he actually had authorisation to give me those things for free but he told me to so i did

keithmac

Guru
I bought a Carrera Vengeance Ultimate in their New Years sale at half price a few years back, picked it up the next day with no issues.

Would buy another bike from them without hesitation if it was the right model at the right price.

This was York, Foss Islands Road branch.

Top Bottom