Halfords build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I don’t think it’s a case of snobbery but the reality of a large nationwide cycle and motor parts retailer. You can get lucky with staff or not. ‘Oh Kevin’s not in today, he’s our cycle expert’ or ‘Sorry, Kevin got transferred to auto parts’.
I knew our local Kevin; he left because he hated the place and the management. :sad:

tudor_77

Über Member
I bought a Boardman Road Team Carbon Ltd back in 2015 which came perfectly set up out the box, so my experiences have been very positive. I have heard a few horror stories though.

Bedding in brakes requires bikes to be ridden and therefore dirt on tyres etc - not necessarily something new owners would expect. Shimano hydraulics are equipped with their own pads and SRAM likewise - generally don't need immediate upgrading.
She rode it intermittantly (2 -3 times a week over summer/autumn), but they still felt 'soft'/unbiting to me

Level racks are at the mercy of the attachments that they come with and the size/geometry of the frame they are fitted to.
True enough, but I got it level within minutes, even allowing for removing each bolt to grease the threads

Venod

Eh up
I would get Halfords to build it for warranty concerns, they might do a perfect job (my local Halfords would) if they don't fettle it yourself if you feel confident, or get them to do a perfect job.

Acekid

If your unsure about doing it yourself, definitely get the shop to do it.
Personally I would never let anyone in Halfords touch my bike or car for that matter! might just be the level of incompetence of the staff near me (supplied my mother in law with a Pendelton bike, I went with her to collect it...apparently ready to ride! Handlebars were loose, as were both brake levers, back tyre pressure far too low and to top it off both pedals were only hand tight!), combined with me being pretty damn handy with the spanners, having built many a bike up from bare frames.

Last edited:
Top Bottom