halfords carrera subway 2 Tyres Issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nakatomi_Uk

I have a Halfords Carrera subway 2 bike that I bought 5 years ago the bike is ok for daily use but I have issues getting the right tyres for it because Halfords decided to use 26x1.6 tyres it's hard to find them at decent prices, the front tyre has been on since I bought it no punctures at all.

But the original rear one went last year and I've been buying Schwalbe city jet Tyres from my local bike shop, now the size of them are 26x1.5 and they were a real pain in the **** to get on like they don't fit but in the end they did. I've bought 2 in the last year but only due to the fact the sidewall just splits open mainly on one side, I keep the pressure at the right requirement and I've had a few punctures here and there on the so called kevlar strip which is supposed to prevent them.

Can anyone advise me on a better tyre that will fit because I can't afford to pay out stupid prices for them at the moment.

the snail

Guru
Schwalbe marathon/marathon+?You could probably get a better price online vs. LBS.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Tyres are tyres , although all manufacturers have variance in width,etc and all wheels are not equally spot on accurate so some wheel and tyre combinations are harder to get on than others .
I use city jets on my subway and find them easy enough to get on and off as well as decent enough puncture protection, if you want better protection you will have to pay more .
Have you been checking the tyre for road debris ?

OP
OP
Nakatomi_Uk

Nakatomi_Uk

Hi guys thanks for the replies after looking for a few hours I ended up going to my local Halfords and purchasing another Schwalbe City Jet tyre for £8.99 as I need the bike for work tomorrow morning, I also decided to buy a new inner tube as well it was only an extra £2 anyway I've just fitted it and it went on like a dream. Which is very odd because the ones I got from my local bike shop where the same size/make and took a fair bit of strength and patience to get on, but this went on fine it's all pumped up and ready to go but I'm going to take it out for a test ride later see how it goes. I'm going to start each bike journey with a quick check of the tyre for any debris and pressure etc from now to be honest I should have been doing this all the time as I do it when I ride my motorbike.

Top Bottom