Halfords cycle2work scheme nightmares

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
Hello,

I decided to join the Cycle to work scheme through my employer. I've noticed each employers have variations of the scheme but it's all ultimately the same thing.

I decided to budget £650. I now regret this & should have gone up to the full £1000. You're not allowed to add your own money to the scheme & you can't change your agreement once it's been processed.

I wanted the Boardman road race to begin with as it's bang for buck. However They won't have a medium size in until the end of JUNE.

In their scheme it states that if they can't find the bike you're looking for they will search from up to 400 independent bike shops. They're trying to fob me off & say it's got to be a brand that Halfords deal with eg Kona etc.

I'm wanting to get the Jamis Ventura from Evens cycles as it's within the budget & a miles better bike.

If they fob me off again I will cancel the whole thing altogether.

Any advice is welcome, I plan to do my first 84 mile sportive, the white rose in July & I'm having to train on an old scott MTB. I'm not the most experianced cyclist but I'm a member of a running club & race from 100m to Ultra marathon distance so at least I have a reasonable base fitness & low BF %.

Kind Regards.

snorri

Legendary Member
Well, that's quite a moan for a first post :sad: .

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When i did halfords C2 W a couple of years ago i spoke directly to their C2W phone and was told they can pretty much get any main stream brand, i was looking at cannondale,spesh etc before going for the boardman as it offered at the time the most bang for your buck,
As for not having the stock in currently my voucher took about 3-4 weeks to process anyway and i applied fairly early and at least you want a size thats standard stock, i had to order in a small which they do not even carry normally so i had to try mediums and see if they felt to big before deciding ... Phew !
IHMO if you need the bike asap and are not to bothered about the tax savings which are not as good as they used to be then cancel and go for an interest free option as shops do want your business and looking at the £599 (?) jamis it does seem good spec .
Of course you could look at the triban 7 ...
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-7-road-bike-black-id_8239802.html

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
When i did halfords C2 W a couple of years ago i spoke directly to their C2W phone and was told they can pretty much get any main stream brand, i was looking at cannondale,spesh etc before going for the boardman as it offered at the time the most bang for your buck,
As for not having the stock in currently my voucher took about 3-4 weeks to process anyway and i applied fairly early and at least you want a size thats standard stock, i had to order in a small which they do not even carry normally so i had to try mediums and see if they felt to big before deciding ... Phew !
IHMO if you need the bike asap and are not to bothered about the tax savings which are not as good as they used to be then cancel and go for an interest free option as shops do want your business and looking at the £599 (?) jamis it does seem good spec .

I received my Loc sheet within a week, so I could go pick a bike up from halfords now. I will phone cycle2work on 08450778850 in the morning.

Do you think they would get me the Triban 7 cyberknight???

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't imagine they'll source a bike from Decathlon - they list all the brands on the website, plus you can get others from independent LBSs that acceot Halfords vouchers

cyberknight

Sorry for a 1st moan I did think that, but you've really put me at ease. I think I'm really going to like this forum

Very Happy.

:smile:
We all like a good whinge now and again :cheers:
I received my Loc sheet within a week, so I could go pick a bike up from halfords now. I will phone cycle2work on 08450778850 in the morning.

Do you think they would get me the Triban 7 cyberknight???
Doubtful as triban are an in house brand, the same issue i imagine as your having with jamis as their sole supplier afaik in the uk is Evans .

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
We all like a good whinge now and again :cheers:

Doubtful as triban are an in house brand, the same issue i imagine as your having with jamis as their sole supplier afaik in the uk is Evans .

I will be using the bike on some Hilly sportives so I'll need good range. There is the
Focus Culebro 5.0 Compact Road Racing Bike 2013

Which is nice from Leisure Lakes but it lacks a carbon fork. I suppose I could upgrade the forks for not too much £.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I wonder if a LBS of mine which stocks the Felt z95 is in the scheme. That would be good.

400bhp

Guru

The savings haven't changed.

The rules have been tightened up to reduce misuse of the scheme.

vickster

Legendary Member
What sort of bike do you want? Do you want something sporty or something more relaxed that you can mudguards and a rack to for commuting which is presumably the main use?

Where do you live and what retailers are you looking at?

cyberknight

I will be using the bike on some Hilly sportives so I'll need good range. There is the
Focus Culebro 5.0 Compact Road Racing Bike 2013

Which is nice from Leisure Lakes but it lacks a carbon fork. I suppose I could upgrade the forks for not too much £.
MMM , i it was my money i would go for a better frame/fork and upgrade the groupset as it wears out, they do a cannondale for 599 or a spesh for £650 or even a trek 1.2 for £700 with the new 9 speed sora with paddle shifters rather than thumb shifters like the old sora/2300 so you can shift from the drops.

Top Bottom