Halfords earning their nickname...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...which I presume I don't have to repeat here.

I've managed to persuade and inspire ;) a couple of my colleagues to start cycling into work. One of them even took on board my recommendation for his commuting steed - a Boardman CX Team.

He picked it up today. When the mechanic handed it over, the following conversation was had:

Mech: "What's a Cyclocross then, a road racer?"
Mate: "Well, no, not really. They are meant for off road use really, off road racing."
Mech: "Nah mate, you can't take this off road you'll break it".

I've since assured him that you can easily take the CX off road, and any CX bike which 'breaks' if you dare venture of the Tarmac is a good example of 'not fit for purpose'.

Add to the above the list of faults on his bike from the Halfords build:

1. They couldn't fit the front mudguard - apparently the hole for it in the frame is faulty and threaded
2. One of the bolts holding the stem on is completely threaded and spins uselessly in its own hole...
3. ...which may be why he said he experienced serious front wheel wobble at speed - or they may have mounted the front wheel badly.
4. ... But it's almost certainly why his handlebars twisted on him nearly throwing him off on the first ride.
5. Rear brake set to hard, offering constant rear wheel braking
6. He changed the 32mm tyres for 28mm Schwalbe Marathons, and they told him he needed new inner tubes (which I doubt), charged him the extra nine quid and didn't even give him the original inners!

I suggested it needs to go back for the two threading faults, but he wants to take it to a proper LBS first and pay them to set it up instead.

Not a great advert for Halfords all round.

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
Pretty much par for the course...unfortunately.

screenman

Legendary Member
Number 2, they did not use a torque wrench then.

It is about the standard I have noticed in our local Halfords where the large hammer seems a favoured tool.

OP
OP
CopperCyclist

CopperCyclist

Veteran

It is about the standard I have noticed in our local Halfords where the large hammer seems a favoured tool.

Though I've never seen this myself, my oppo last night, to whom I told the same story, insists he saw a mech (numpty) at my local store using a power drill with Allen key attachment to set up bikes!

I shouldn't say this, but I have never used a torque wrench on a bicycle - and I've changed most items across many decades - from cottered cranks and separate-component cranks up to the fit & forget whizzbangs of today.

Coming from a car and motorcycle background, I have a couple of lovely torque wrenches on the wall - but they stay there when a bicycle is being fixed.

The only thing I get slightly nervous about is pinching clamps onto carbon (but luckily I'm so old and so tight that I have very little of that).

In language that can be repeated at a formal function, am I a tool for not using a torque wrench?

And on-topic for a moment: It does sound a little wobbly by Halfords. I buy tubes there. I'm sorry for CopperCyclist's pal. Not a good way to get acquainted with a new and expensive toy.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hellfrauds fitted a new DAB stereo and one of these wikki wikki amps to a friends sons car. It all stopped working one day, so being a radio amateur, complete with cardigan, I offered to use my awesome electronics prowess to manfully solve the problem.

I found the power to the amp was unfused and fed through the bulkhead without a grommet, ready to turn into a giant 1 bar electric heater and ignite the car. I found the DAB antenna simply shoved out of sight under the passenger seat rather than actually installed. Absolutely frightening standard of workmanship.

Ripped it all out, started again from scratch with decent wiring, soldered connectors, appropriate fuses and grommets.

Kies

Now that is scary!!! :eek:

screenman

Legendary Member
Boris what you do on your own bikes is up to you, but on a paying customers bike it should be done correctly.

I am also from the motor trade still in it now and still teaching it now, but boy do I wish I had joined the government workforce when I left school.

Sandra6

Veteran
Did I mention I'm looking for a new job?! :whistle:

I used to say "that would never happen at our store" but with our recent staff changes now I wouldn't be so confident. I had a few customers bring bikes back in the run up to xmas and I read the riot act to the lads responsible. (not our bike mechanics I hasten to add, just lads who happen to work in the bike hut, sadly they're not one and the same)
Out of curiosity which store was it?

Globalti

Legendary Member
I seriously considered a Boardman CX and still like them but this is the single reason why I didn't buy it.

Top Bottom