Halfords Ebikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Trek uses the Bosch mid-drive which, along with the Shimano near-equivalent steps are a massively different prospect to the hub-drive systems on cheaper bikes. In performance, quality and longevity, and in battery life

Imagine if you'd never driven or ridden in a car before, then you got in a Reliant Robin you'd think "wow, this flies, it's great" - that's the hub motor. Then climb in a BMW - that's the mid-drive

I had the pleasure of a quick blast on the new Diamondback Ranger 3.0 today at our ebike demo day. At £4250 it ain't cheap but it is a well specced full susser capable of some serious off road work. I can't justify to cost to myself but still I would love one

I don't dispute a word of that but at £3800 (or £4k for the full spec) it's just too expensive to make sense. If they could get the price down to £2k (or better still £1500) then it might start to be a proposition worth considering.

I get that - the Diamondback range has a hardtail at £2100. It's not as sleek and prettyful (and being an MTB probably doesn't roll as quick) as the Trek but an additional £1700 for the sleek integrated headset etc is a fair sum for cosmetics, compared to putting some slicks on an MTB

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To my mind, the difference between cheap ebikes and good ones (and I own one of the former!) is like the difference between a cheap Decathlon folding bike and a Brompton. The Decathlon is OK, but the Brompton is my go-to bike, let alone my go-to folder.
The zipper e-bike is just for commuting. I need to arrive at the clients place, in smartish clothes, and not be sweaty. That's it. That's all I ask of it, and pretty much all I get!

I'm looking at an ebike around 2k because I ride one and it's so much fun! I have cycled many different bikes including tandems, and feel that an ebike may achieve more as I age?
My road bike is fir sale and I'm saving my pennies, and looking at a CTW to make a purchase soon.
I never thought I would go this way, but as my partner prefers off road, and we have many hills in Sussex, it seems a great way to go.
A Haibike mid drive was the bike we used in Norway recently, and will be the ones we buy.
If you never thought much of assisted pedalling, give it a go, you may rediscover that childhood feeling we often lose, in favour of sleeker, faster, lighter etc!

billym0404

been ready this thread, and e-bikes are expensive, so why not build your own. its not hard. wheel kits are about £40 mid drives a bit more. much better than most of the stuff at halfords. i have a crossfire 2 with a middrive system. bike was almost new but the owner feel of and scuffed it a bit. i built it myself, with a mid drive and its better speck than halfords at 2/3s of the cost. £800 to by a crossfire 2 and put a 250w system on all new £400 saving. i also have a boardman comp that i dont use. lovley and clean at a fraction of the cost of some of these top end bikes. build your own

QFour

Regular
If you have a few hours to spare and can do basic maintenance on a bike then convert your own to electric. If you need to change bikes you can just swap the kit over. I used a Bafang Fun kit which drives the front chain ring. Uses the rear gears so you can also ride the bike without power. Now have two folding bikes in Motorhome which I converted.

Top Bottom