Halfords engineers, arrgh!!....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brainache

Please can someone help me with an annoying noise from my bike because Halfords engineers have done naff all to correct it when taken to them!

I bought a GT from them recently and it's a spot on bike for what I need. However, it's developed a really annoying grating noise from the back wheel. I hung on until the 6 week service was due with halfords and took it in and explained the problem. They rang me to say it was done and span me a load of bull (like a mechanic would try when you take you car in for service) about the cause of the problem. They said it was the gear selection I was riding the bike in and said they'd tightened the chain and gears up and everything should be fine. I'm sorry but you're telling me that I have to be careful about gear settings on a 360 quid bike??? However, no sooner had I rode 10 yards than the familiar sound started again.

I told them not to listen to it while hung on a stand because you can't hear anything (I can't when I turn it upside down and turn the pedals), you need weight on the bike and to be riding it before you can hear it - they obviously didn't bother. Any ideas anyone?

It's like an intermittent grating noise which I thought was like a chain catching on cogs noise but it happens when I'm freewheeling and the chain is still too. Unfortunately, I can't seem to pin down where it's coming from because it makes no noise when up side down, only when riding it. I don't think it's the disc brake either, would it be bearings?

sheddy

Legendary Member
I know it wrankles but you could get it sorted at a proper bike shop.

BTW Halfords do not employ Engineers, only mechanics. Engineers design and make stuff.

Mr Pig

I've met some conscientious mechanics in Halfords...ok, I've met one, but most of them could not care less. Most would rather sell you a new bike than fix a puncture.

We can't fix bikes over the internet and if you can't figure out the source of a noise yourself then you might be best not to try either. Take the bike to a proper bike shop. Same because I quite like GT bikes.

02GF74

Über Member
had to diagnose withput seeing/hearing the problem.

does the niose change if you start to apply the fornt or the rear brake?

is it coming from the rear or front?

remove each wheel from the bike, hold and spin to feel the bearings.

how tight are you doing up the quick release?

does it happen in certain gears?

is the b-stop on the rear shofter adjsuted correctly?

OP
OP
Brainache

Brainache

Oh well, worth a try. I know it's a hard thing to describe without witnessing, just thought I'd ask in case anything jumped to mind for someone. Thanks anyway. I will track down a proper bike shop if I have no joy finding the noise myself.

Cheers folks,

(Apart from whoever felt the need to explain the difference between an engineer and a mechanic to me - I'm fully aware of the differences thanks, and you obviously knew what I meant)

archenemy

just a thought have you had a look at the bearings in the wheel they may not have been greased if it is this it could mean a new hub but with out seeing or hearing it it is hard to say.
that is why i would not touch Halfords as they could not have a clue in any thing.
good luck.

Mr Pig

User3143 said:
a mechanic is someone who takes something that is broken and fixes it, where as a fitter is someone who will remove what is broken and fit something that is new.

And a Halfords mechanic is someone who puts a repairable bike in the bin and sells you a new one.

GilesM

Legendary Member
If the noise happens when you freewheel it does point towards the wheel or freehub bearings, as people have mention, take the rear wheel out and spin it in your hads and see how the bearings feel, also check when it is in the bike if there is any bearing play, just see if you can move the wheel from side to side. It's a long shot, but the saddle and/or seatpin may be creaking, but not so likely when freewheeling, however check this by standing up when you are freewheeling, noises can be very hard to track down, and do some times come from the least unlikely places.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I recently experienced a ticking sound in my front wheel which wasn't synchronised to the revolutions and it only seemed to happen with weight on the handlebars (with the bike upside down the wheel spun freely and no sound). Anyway, I stripped out the bearings, cleaned and re-greased them. Total silence now ;)

rusky

CC Addict
Does the noise change when you brake or back pedal?

If no, then you're down to the ub bearings.

OP
OP
Brainache

Brainache

Cheers everyone, I will heed your advice and try it out.

The noise is definately intermittent at slower speeds but gets worse when going faster, particularly downhill. It also appears worse when swerving side to side more than normal.

I'll post back when I've tried all your tips out.

Ta.

Top Bottom