Halfords engineers, arrgh!!....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

Brainache said:
I bought a GT from them recently and it's a spot on bike for what I need. However, it's developed a really annoying grating noise from the back wheel. I hung on until the 6 week service was due with halfords and took it in and explained the problem. They rang me to say it was done and span me a load of bull (like a mechanic would try when you take you car in for service) about the cause of the problem. They said it was the gear selection I was riding the bike in and said they'd tightened the chain and gears up and everything should be fine. I'm sorry but you're telling me that I have to be careful about gear settings on a 360 quid bike??? However, no sooner had I rode 10 yards than the familiar sound started again.

You do need to be careful as to which gear you're in on a £360 bike. You need to avoid having the chain running at an angle. So certain combinations should not be used.

When you're on the smallest chainring at the front you should only really be using the top (largest) 2 or 3 sprockets of the cassette at the back. Likewise once on the largest chainring at the front you should only be using the smallest 2/3 sprockets at the back.

As other people have said. Take the wheels off and turn the axles by hand. If there's no play and it doesn't feel notchy then it's not your wheel bearings.

I wouldn't go to another bike shop. You'll just be paying out for a problem it's Halfords job to fix.

maurice

Brainache said:
I'm sorry but you're telling me that I have to be careful about gear settings on a 360 quid bike???

That jumped out at me as well - you need to be careful about gear settings on a 4000 quid bike. As long as we've got mechanical shifters you'll get chain rub on the front mech in extreme gears.

That aside it does sound like a wheel bearing issue, get Halfords to sort it.

lukesdad

User3143 said:
Sounds to me like a bearing problem to do with the freewheel hub. Take it to the lbs BA they should be able to sort you out.

For future reference as well (this does not apply to you Brainache) a mechanic is someone who takes something that is broken and fixes it, where as a fitter is someone who will remove what is broken and fit something that is new.

So the next time I snap an expensive piece of carbon Ill take it or any other component to my lbs and the mechanic there will say"hold on a jiff
i ll just repair that for you mate" Get real he ll just order a new part and fit it hes a fitter. Mechanics are really mechanical fitters as opposed to say carpet fitters.:smile::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom