Halfords Newbie (don't laugh)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Hi, first post and brand new to all this.
At work we have a cycle to work scheme but have to buy our bike's and equipment from Halfords and as it is a tax efficient benifit we end up getting 40% of the total price. Now, I live in a village around the South Downs and would have to cycle 7 mile to the station and 7 mile back late at night, ( shouldn't be a problem as I jog 30m a week) so 50 and reasonably fit.

Now not sure what type of bike, as I would also like to use the bike on the South Downs Way and roads around here as well as a commute. It will also be getting safety and security equipment which is important as it will be locked up at the local station in the evening when I work, so what lock? Hybrid, road or mountain?
As part of the scheme we can pick a bike and order it through Halfords, I'd be looking at a retail price of about £400
Any advice welcome,
Thanks
Jogger

RedBike

Stick with either the hybrid or the road bike. Suspension and knobbly tyres will only make it harder work (and more likely to get nicked).

You'll probably be wanting full length mud-guards and pannier racks which is really going to limit your options from Halfords.

As for the lock you will need to get the one(s) recommended by your insurance company. On a £400 bike you will almost certainly need one that rated sold secure gold.

btw cycling and jogging dont seem to use the same muscles, or maybe they use the muscles in different ways? Whatever the situation is expect to find the bike hard work for the first few weeks tuntil your legs adapt.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Just to make it clear, you're not limited to Halfords bikes if you want one under the scheme. They can get pretty much most things. Apart from Brompton apparently.

Very true. A mate of mine at work just bought a Condor Pista fixed under the scheme, he even got £100 off the list price because Condors had a last years model in their shop and he prefered the colour to this years. So, Find a bike you really like that is within your price range and Halfords will get it for you. Dont forget the other bits you may need, like lights, lock, rack and mudguards.

Don't rush into anything.

Do your research, talk to cyclists you know, try a few things out and take your time making your decision. You'll be better equipped to get what you want from Halfords. I've seen too many people misadvised by spotty berks who know nothing. They end up with completely unsuitable bikes and don't ride them. I know one girl who wanted a safe, comfortable reliable bike for a 4 mile each way commute in London, and a few leisure rides. She was mis-sold a full-suspension downhill bike with knobbly tyres.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Twenty Inch said:
Don't rush into anything.

Do your research, talk to cyclists you know, try a few things out and take your time making your decision. You'll be better equipped to get what you want from Halfords. I've seen too many people misadvised by spotty berks who know nothing. They end up with completely unsuitable bikes and don't ride them. I know one girl who wanted a safe, comfortable reliable bike for a 4 mile each way commute in London, and a few leisure rides. She was mis-sold a full-suspension downhill bike with knobbly tyres.

Too true, bike shops should sell you the bike you need, not the one you may want. I know that for years now MTB's have been in fashion, but I do believe that now road bikes/hybreds are now coming into their own as people realise the benefits of these bikes around towns over MTB's.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
On no account buy a road bike if you want to take it on the South Downs. It won't last 5 mins.
Either a hybrid or an mtb. I personally wouldn't go on the SDW without front suspension, it's very lumpy and bumpy.
The best compromise may be to get an mtb and swap tyres for when you go offroad from slicks to knobblies.

OP
OP
The Jogger

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Thanks for the advice, I'll have a look at the hybrids available and visit other cycle shops before I order.

Ivan Ardon

The Carrera Subway range in Halfords ain't too shabby, so don't discount them just because they're from there.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
Hiya
Just joined & reading through threads when I came accross this one.
As it's 'local' to me, I thought i'd offer some input.
For years I rode cheap bikes bought from large chain-shops, none of the bikes really lasted more than a few months or made me a happy comfortable rider, eventualy I decided to splash out on a decent bike & after a bit of research I found SouthdownBikes based in Storrington.
Their service is superb, they helped me pick a bike that met all my personal requirements, without trying to oversell me stuff I didn't need & 17 months later I am still a very happy rider. In fact I have gone from a casual 3 miles a day to doing at least 15 just for fun!
They also have bike scheme http://www.pedal2work.com/
I quite often ride along the South Downs Way - you can't miss me, look for the red haired bird towing a trailer!!

Top Bottom