Halfords sold me a 20inch frame...I'm 5ft 5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
Its a voodoo hoodoo with 26" wheels.

They have ordered me a 20" frame as that's apparently the one I tried on shopfloor and it was fine, slight reach to the floor but putting saddle down 1cm would be enough to solve that. Convinced I tried the 18 looking back.

You have been halfrauded, by what could be a clueless idiot.

Citius

They have ordered me a 20" frame as that's apparently the one I tried on shopfloor and it was fine, slight reach to the floor but putting saddle down 1cm would be enough to solve that. Convinced I tried the 18 looking back.

Saddle to floor distance is irrelevant. You're not supposed to be sitting on the saddle with your feet on the floor anyway. In simplistic terms, the key distances are saddle to pedal, saddle to bars and (for an MTB in particular) standover height - that pretty much dictates frame size. Either way, 20" - assuming that is a measurement of the seat tube C-T - sounds way too big.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well get someone else to go with you, try the other one then tell them you have changed your mind/been given rubbish advice and you want to swap for the smaller frame instead.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I have no one to go with me, boyfriend can't even ride a bike. They only had one size on display. I will ring tomorrow and go and try the 18" I have an inside leg of 32.5

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Inside leg just a bit longer than mine, that means your torso will be shorter, I think it will be a stretch on the 20" where you want a bit of space for manoeuvring.

Learnincurve

32.5 does put you ok for the saddle height on that bike, the problem will be that you will be stretched out trying to reach the handlebars and that will get uncomfortable when riding . I have to swap to a smaller stem on my bikes. I would say you would fit a 18/19 but you may need to raise the saddle too high on a 16/17 depending on the bike design.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have no one to go with me, boyfriend can't even ride a bike. They only had one size on display. I will ring tomorrow and go and try the 18" I have an inside leg of 32.5

Longish inside leg for your height.

On 26" wheels I reckon 18" would be a good fit.

As a rough guide, with the saddle at the right height - balls of your feet on the pedals, near full leg extension - the saddle shouldn't be a lot higher than the handlebars.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I always thought I had a long torso but maybe not. Okay thanks everyone, ill try the 18" (which I think I have actually already tried) and cancel the 20"

Saddle to floor distance is irrelevant. You're not supposed to be sitting on the saddle with your feet on the floor anyway. In simplistic terms, the key distances are saddle to pedal, saddle to bars and (for an MTB in particular) standover height - that pretty much dictates frame size. Either way, 20" - assuming that is a measurement of the seat tube C-T - sounds way too big.
He's right. As a fellow shorty at 5ft 5 with far shorter legs than you, I have had constant problems getting sized correctly, If your inside leg is a true 32.5 you will have a very short torso needing a very short bike. I looked up the geometry and the 16 inch has a effective TT of 565 mm, the 18 inch 585 mm. I have a 570mm effective TT MTB and I am in a proper position for xc racing but not comfort. You should really be on the 16 inch IMO for the 565 TT, the reason the 18 inch may have felt ok is because you may have had the saddle way to low, making the stretch to the bars feel ok or the bars were set up high or you may just be very flexible . Looking on Halfords site no 16 inch advertised so they probably don't have any. Be aware some unscrupulous people will sell you the bike they have, not the bike you need. As is said in many of these types of threads , you can make a small bike longer ( longer stem) but you cant make a big bike shorter.

Same bike I have and I'm 8-9 inches taller than you. 20" is too big for you, as everyone else seems to think too.
It did actually feel a bit small for me at first after a road bike. After riding it a few times I realised it's about perfect and I can keep balanced on it offroad, moving about as needed. Felt quite upright at first but soon made sense.

Cyclist33

Thanks for all the advice everyone, picked it up tonight. The 18" is perfect for me, super comfy and balanced, just feels right. Had a whizz round the car park and its a fab bike, going to have lots of fun on it I think!

get it checked over by a decent bike mechanic before something spins in a direction it shouldnt and spoils your fun.

what sort of riding are you going to be doing?

Top Bottom