Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know some of you call the staff in Halfords, I have only had good service and advice from our local store.

Well up until this morning, I called to see if they could re align my rear mech hanger, and I got him, you know the one who knows all..............and knows bugger all, he must be a trainee as everyone else I have spoken to at our local Halfords seem to know what they are talking about, this guy was adamant that you cannot re align a rear mech hanger, all he could do was a gear service which I would have done myself with the aid of a small screwdriver, all I wanted was to know if they had the tool to align the hanger, anyway to cut a long story short we decided to go to our LBS...............which was shut, good job really as after I had removed the mech re fitted it and the cable, then re indexed, the problem has completely disappeared, can having the cable on the mech in the wrong place cause problems as I did manage to get it over the shim instead of under:shy:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
is the rear mech hanger bent?

is the frame steel or aluminium?

post a photo and I'm sure someone will advise accordingly.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Having the cable in the wrong bit of the clamp can affect the pull ratio slightly.

I guess if the were slightly out to begin with it could be just enough to send the chain too much or not enough to cause a problem.

Was it ok at one side of the cog but playing up at the other?

Having the cable in the wrong bit of the clamp can affect the pull ratio slightly.

I guess if the were slightly out to begin with it could be just enough to send the chain too much or not enough to cause a problem.

Was it ok at one side of the cog but playing up at the other?

Exactly Paul, when on low gears it felt like it wanted to change back up after a gear change, so looks like you are right.

Top Bottom