Halfords ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
went down to local store last night to pick up a bottom bracket for an ongoing project , and the "mechanic" volunteered to fit said bottom bracket to frame for me , i said yes .

well after standing and watching him try to screw the lhs cup in to the rhs of frame for 5 minutes i decided to show him his mistake , his reply was its been a long day .......................... doh

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Another plus point for Halfrauds then. :whistle:

Dark46

Veteran
I tried to book my bike in for a free service! Well their book didn't go more than a week ahead. Plus the KID working I the bike in the workstation didn't look as though he would be able to undo a 5nm Allen screw and doesn't know what the sun looks like! He was whiter than Snow White so I would say he's NEVER been on a bike in sunlight!

02GF74

Über Member
blinkin flip.

we all make mistakes but somebody who works with bikes all the time - allegedly - should know better. the first thing I do when messing with BB is to look at the cup threads and decide if it is LH or RH so know whcih side to attack.

migrantwing

Veteran
This reminds me of a situation I had quite recently.

I applied for a job at Halfrauds quite recently and was asked if I had an NVQ or Cytech qualification. After I told them that I hadn't, I was advised to sign up for Cytech part 1&2 at the cost of around £1200-1500 (with no help in payment from Halfords). I declined when I was told that I'd be getting paid just over minimum wage and employed for 12 hours per week.

I successfully dismantled my crank and bottom bracket last week and put it all back confidently, even under the influence of a handful of bottles of Stella Artois, then I serviced the bearings in my wheels :smile: Just goes to show, doesn't it. These no-hoper's they have working for them now can't have an NVQ/Cytech qualification? Surely?

well Halfords burgess hill west sussex cant build any bikes right ive got a boardman team carbon that I got from them after there many mistakes with a different boardman bike I got it build at my lbs and it goew like a dream it was a big mistake getting a bike from halfrauds :cursing:

tudor_77

Über Member
This doesn't fill me with confidence about the MTB I was looking at. Maybe being a snob is a good idea.

The Halfords mechanic that built my Boardman Road bike did an excellent job. If you like the bike then go for it, or build it yourself if you feel competent enough.

went down to local store last night to pick up a bottom bracket for an ongoing project , and the "mechanic" volunteered to fit said bottom bracket to frame for me , i said yes .

well after standing and watching him try to screw the lhs cup in to the rhs of frame for 5 minutes i decided to show him his mistake , his reply was its been a long day .......................... doh
I tried fitting a new sealed BB to an old Carleton, somehow i mixed it up.

i know we can all make mistakes me included , but it was the way he kept telling me he was right and that my bottom bracket threads were shot etc etc
:thumbsup:
I thought I had two left hand threads ( I think it was left, could have been right) just being to soft about fitting them due to the age of the bike, at least now when I do get to build it at least I know what fits now.

Top Bottom