Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you're old enough to ride a bike without stabilisers on it, you're old enough to learn to fix it yourself. It's called growing up and becoming self-reliant. I'd be embarrassed to have to admit I couldn't even do a basic repair or maintenance task on a machine as simple as a bicycle.
That all depends on the individual. I'm old enough to drive a car and can change a wheel. The principal is exactly the same.

Personally I can do tubes and chains. I have no mechanical knowledge or interest. I have never felt inclined to waste the financial and time resources available to me on doing something I was very likely get wrong and still require professional help? Why as a parent of three children would I have spent hours in my garage or spent £££ on tools I could barely use?

I am a loyal customer at my LBS. If I need it and the LBS stock it they get my money. The result of 25+ years loyalty is I can pop in, explain the issue, ten minutes later it will usually be fixed and I'll be enjoying coffee and a chat.

Everyone has different talents, abilities and outlook on life. Simply because your view differs is no reason to suggest they are "poncing" about. I don't agree with your view but I don't dismiss you in this manner but do feel you should learn respect for others.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Enjoy getting your bike back. 👍
thanks
i got it back this morning, and it looks great
the only thing is, it looks as though when i change gear to the biggest cog for the front, it looks as though it woulden;t be able to as the deraillieur looks like it's in the way

Slick

Guru
thanks
i got it back this morning, and it looks great
the only thing is, it looks as though when i change gear to the biggest cog for the front, it looks as though it woulden;t be able to as the deraillieur looks like it's in the way
It will move as you change up. :okay:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you're old enough to ride a bike without stabilisers on it, you're old enough to learn to fix it yourself. It's called growing up and becoming self-reliant. I'd be embarrassed to have to admit I couldn't even do a basic repair or maintenance task on a machine as simple as a bicycle.
You have to break a lot of cheap bikes first, to get really good at bike mechanics.

GetFatty

Über Member
Book it into the bike shop, try to fix it yourself, turn up to bike shop with bike and a carrier bag full of bits. Tell nice man "I don't know what I've done but it's all in here".

That's what I tend to do

Mike_P

Guru
As much as you go find out how to do things there is at times something that defeats. Have tried every trick to get a flywheel off but that seems to be one for shop assistance.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

As much as you go find out how to do things there is at times something that defeats. Have tried every trick to get a flywheel off but that seems to be one for shop assistance.
i sort of did know how to fix it, but i didn't want to go and buy all the parts, try it myself, and then ending up wrecking the bike even more....Much better getting a professional doing it, as they know everything they are doing.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Brief (mixed) experiences of Halfords:

- Bought nearly new / unused bike from third party (that reputedly hadn't been touched since being originally supplied by Halfords) which was poory assembled, poorly-setup and damaged in places.

- Got said bits sorted under warranty by local branch without having to show receipt.

- Have ordered numerous parts through the local one, price-matched to online suppliers; my GPS unit was a score as I also got a further 10% off thanks to a generous member of staff honouring a dubious internet voucher.

- Last dealing was a warranty claim on a set of sub-12-month-old cleaning brushes, the response to which from the 12-year-old serving me was originally that because they were more than a month old they weren't covered. Manager soon set him straight and I got my brushes.

My observations from these experiences, for what they're worth:

- Institutionally I don't think the company gives much of a sh*t about its customers or staff.

- Staff quality varies massively and this has the most impact on the quality of service you receive. Clearly those who assembled my bike either didn't give a toss or hadn't got a clue, while conversely some individuals I've dealt with (such as the guy who sorted my GPS) have been great and really gone out of their way to help.

- I think the apparently crap attitude of the company towards its staff is reflected in the staff's attitude to the company - with the more helpful employees quite happy to appease the customer (and minimise their own grief) at the expense of the business (in my case with unchecked warranty work and honouring dubious discounts).

So in summary I'm happy to use them for convenience since they're close and will price-match, and while there are undoubtedly some skilled, knowledgeable and capable staff present there are also a lot of muppets and as such I'd never, ever entertain the idea of entrusting the place with any work on my bikes.

Top Bottom