Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Ring around, and once you have all the details you can make a decision. Or just try doing it yourself, there's plenty of guidance available on here and on YouTube. If you don't do it yourself then you can always take it to a shop then. Or book it in now, then you can try fix it whilst you wait for your slot. There's heaps of satisfaction in DIY plus it can save you money.

I can see that some people may have a problem fitting a new rear derailleur to their bike especially if they have never done anything on their bike before .
The old non indexing rear mechs were simple to set up as you could play it by ear when selecting gears . Those are the type of mechs which inexperienced people should start playing around with first .
As for Halfords taking time to do things these days I can see that having reduced their number of staff must be having an impact under these circumstances. It may be the luck of the draw as to who works on your bike but a lot of the staff that work in the bike shop are keen cyclists .

Slick

Guru
I can see that some people may have a problem fitting a new rear derailleur to their bike especially if they have never done anything on their bike before .
The old non indexing rear mechs were simple to set up as you could play it by ear when selecting gears . Those are the type of mechs which inexperienced people should start playing around with first .
As for Halfords taking time to do things these days I can see that having reduced their number of staff must be having an impact under these circumstances. It may be the luck of the draw as to who works on your bike but a lot of the staff that work in the bike shop are keen cyclists .
The staff in my local store are all very capable and provide a very good service. :okay:

Slick

Guru
If you've got a non-functional bike, you aren't going to be getting any riding time in the first place. You could fit a derailleur mech in less time than it takes to get your bike over to the bike shop. Some people just seem to devote a lot of time to poncing about avoiding actually doing any job themselves, even though it would be quicker to just get on with it.
You would fix it, I would fix it but some people just want to ride. :okay:

The staff in my local store are all very capable and provide a very good service. :okay:
When I went into our local Halfords they hardly had any staff . It is a lot different to how it used to be when I worked there part time .

New management at the top with new ideas. Whereas we used to keep shelves full and neat looking it's a case of "Oooh! They've run out ! "

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

they have fixed it.....yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssss....i took it in this afternoon, and have done it, and going to pick it up tommorow...
well, all i would say is i will defintly make up for the time lost and back on my bike again:bicycle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you've got a non-functional bike, you aren't going to be getting any riding time in the first place. You could fit a derailleur mech in less time than it takes to get your bike over to the bike shop. Some people just seem to devote a lot of time to poncing about avoiding actually doing any job themselves, even though it would be quicker to just get on with it.
Your attitude to people who either can't or don't want to repair a bike themselves is appalling.

You have no idea whether or not the OP has the relevant tools, parts and ability.

Personally I wouldn't even think about fitting a derailleur and I'm certainly not someone who "ponces" about. Learn some manners.

Another Halfords anecdote. A mechanic at their Stevenage branch told me about 3 years ago that Halfords only have about 1 qualified bike mechanic for every 4 or so branches. This would explain the instances of bikes being assembled with forks the wrong way round etc etc, as the job was being done by one of the shop staff due to the qualified mechanic being at another branch. Obviously some are more competent than others.

Of course the general public can be even worse. In my shop today a young lad picked up some bling replacement valve caps for his bike. He got his dad to pay, who didn't know how to remove the old ones, as he thought I had to do it with a special tool. :eek:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You have no idea whether or not the OP has the relevant tools, parts and ability.

If you're old enough to ride a bike without stabilisers on it, you're old enough to learn to fix it yourself. It's called growing up and becoming self-reliant. I'd be embarrassed to have to admit I couldn't even do a basic repair or maintenance task on a machine as simple as a bicycle.

Top Bottom