Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
They are pretty crap, I bought some brighter bulbs for Mrs Gunks Mini, they fitted them and we couldn’t work out why other cars kept flashing us, the dozy pillock put them in upside down!

mustang1

Legendary Member
1. Do you know anyone who works at Halfords? If so, what does he or she say about the place?
I knew a couple of people who worked there but no longer do. I'm not sure why they left but I think it was just due to being in a retail environment rather than anything Halfords-specific.

2. Have you ever had a good experience with Halfords?
Sure, a few times a great experience, mostly just a normal experience.

3. Do you ever go to Halfords? Or, do you categorically refuse to even go to place?
I no longer go there because it's out of the way for me in a place that I dislike visiting (industrial estate kinda place).

4. Do you ever get your bike repaired or serviced at Halfords?
No, but I bought a bike from there with the view of getting it serviced at another (now closed) local Halfords.

Halfords has/had a dodgy rep when it came to bikes but it's not as if every LBS out there is stand-up perfect. There are plenty of LBSes which are dismal.

DSK

Note: Shimano (as an example) has its main manufacturing plants in China, Singapore and Malaysia (iirc)…….

Its more important being able to spot a fake/replica compared to genuine (regardless of what item it is). In a day and age where price is the ultimate driving force for the masses, its very easy for retailers either intentionally or unintentionally be subject to retailing fake items. I have bought from reputable UK sellers (bosch fuel injectors) only to be able to easily see they were fake as I had a few sets of originals to hand. It took an email from Bosch, confirming they were fake to be sent to the retailer before they agreed to refund...

As a result, reputable sellers, selling genuine items, may not be the cheapest but, will have original items and better service.

Gunk

Guru
With regards to buying parts, does anyone ever use eBay to buy new parts?

Yes, but always check prices elsewhere first as these days eBay is full of chancers. For my Brompton I order most stuff from Brilliant Bikes in Chobham, they’re usually much cheaper.

Clouded Leopard

Regular
Purchased a Thule 3 cycle tow ball carrier. Arrived today at the store and built in store to a very high professional standard. The staff were very helpful and obliging. They even showed me how to mount the cycle on the carrier using one of their own. Super service.

They are pretty crap, I bought some brighter bulbs for Mrs Gunks Mini, they fitted them and we couldn’t work out why other cars kept flashing us, the dozy pillock put them in upside down!

I did think the physical design of bulb and holder made that impossible, but we are talking Halfrauds here.

A lot of my mechanical knowledge was learnt through a mate who worked there while we were both at uni, he really knew his stuff, but hadn't been trained by Halfords.

I tried to get a part time job (and later a full time job at a Halfords, being armed with a Park Tool maintenance qualification I didn't get it as they'd sooner employ someone on the lower minimum wage bracket who has an idea of what they're doing than someone qualified.

I've been told that "Your rear differential is loose" with regards my rear gears not being set up properly.

I generally assume that the person I'm talking to may not know what I'm after until they show otherwise - as such I make sure I know exactly what I want so that I can politely guide the conversation as needed to avoid confusion.

I generally only buy tools and odds and ends from there - I'd sooner support a local bike shop (there's one at the end of my road) or order online from wiggle / chain reaction.

stepphen

I know several people who bought Carrera e bikes from hellfrauds, and every single one ended up returning them for a refund.
update evans cycles are worst no after care what so ever on ebikes now going through small claims court would not even tell me mangers full name at cambridge store

Top Bottom