Halfords

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I suspect they also cannot compete with Halfords on the lower priced bikes
They can sell the more expensive bikes because people are more likely to trust an LBS if they are paying a lot of money and can also talk to an expert who can recommend upgrades and all sorts.
And, of course, the markup of expensive bikes can be quite a bit higher which is what they need to survive

I'd definitely agree with that, the more you spend the more it makes sense to move over to a local independent bike shop especially as you need to, to get brands like Merida and Giant who for me represent the best quality vs price for higher end bikes. I think the Halfords group do own some exclusive Giant dealerships because when I looked at their financial data a year or so back you could see them listed there but still a completely different operation to normal Halfords. A quick google found this "3 Performance Cycling stores (trading as Tredz and Giant)"

So sounds like there are 3 stores they own but whether that is 2 Tredz stores and 1 Giant store or vice versa I don't know. It's important to realise not all independent bike shops are good many have a very poor reputation so its not like all independents vs Halfords. Many are awful. I remember having an issue with a local bike shop after buying there and it was like getting blood out of stone so many naff excuses until they finally caved in and repaired the bike which I'd only collected a day or so before. Definitely if you have a good independent bike shop and are spending serious money it makes complete sense to buy there.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I'd definitely agree with that, the more you spend the more it makes sense to move over to a local independent bike shop especially

Or sort it out yourself, which I do. Started young, and built a top of the range bike (ordered a handbuilt custom frame - top end components, no expense spared) then put it all together myself - wasn't hard but not recommended to many people on here who struggle with changing tyres ! :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
I'd definitely agree with that, the more you spend the more it makes sense to move over to a local independent bike shop especially as you need to, to get brands like Merida and Giant who for me represent the best quality vs price for higher end bikes. I think the Halfords group do own some exclusive Giant dealerships because when I looked at their financial data a year or so back you could see them listed there but still a completely different operation to normal Halfords. A quick google found this "3 Performance Cycling stores (trading as Tredz and Giant)"

So sounds like there are 3 stores they own but whether that is 2 Tredz stores and 1 Giant store or vice versa I don't know.
Tredz have 3 stores, two trading as Tredz, in Cardiff & Swansea, and one trading as Giant in Swansea.

They are a trading name of Performance Cycling Ltd, who in turn are a subsidiary of Halfords Group PLC.

Brandane

Legendary Member
How many more years is this Halfords vs LBS argument going on? They both sell bikes, but almost certainly more people get into cycling, especially as kids, on Halfords bikes, because of the price and choice.

What makes you think it's Halfords v LBS.? It's more like shocking customer service v reasonable customer service. After all, it's unusual to see the same discussion involving Decathlon v LBS.. Perhaps the discussion should be Halfords v Decathlon, and I know which shop would win that contest, hands down, in my experience. Halfords shops just strike me as shops with staff who really couldn't care less whether you buy anything from them or not (and not just the cycling department). The same applies to Curry's electrical, another retailer which has lost it's way. A visit to either shop is something to be endured rather than enjoyed.

Alex321

Veteran
What makes you think it's Halfords v LBS.? It's more like shocking customer service v reasonable customer service. After all, it's unusual to see the same discussion involving Decathlon v LBS.. Perhaps the discussion should be Halfords v Decathlon, and I know which shop would win that contest, hands down, in my experience. Halfords shops just strike me as shops with staff who really couldn't care less whether you buy anything from them or not (and not just the cycling department). The same applies to Curry's electrical, another retailer which has lost it's way. A visit to either shop is something to be endured rather than enjoyed.
It does depend very much on which one you visit with Halfords. If their cycling department happens to have a cycling enthusiast or two, then you will usually get decent service. If they don't then good luck.

There doesn't seem to be any attempt on the part of Halfords to get consistency, or particularly to employ people enthusiastic about cycling.

I've never been in a Decathlon store or read a Decathlon vs LBS thread or a Halfords vs Decathlon thread so I'll take your word for it.

I have three Halfords within five miles of my house. I buy bike stuff there but never get repairs as I do it all myself and they are all fine for service. I get just as much car stuff there and have no problems with service, other than sometimes they are very busy and I have to wait for an assistant.

My LBS was fine but closed because it was not making enough money.

I volunteer at a community bike workshop and we give a better service than most shops. :angel:

classic33

Leg End Member
It does depend very much on which one you visit with Halfords. If their cycling department happens to have a cycling enthusiast or two, then you will usually get decent service. If they don't then good luck.

There doesn't seem to be any attempt on the part of Halfords to get consistency, or particularly to employ people enthusiastic about cycling.
The attitude isn't just about enthusiasm for cycling, it's more one of actually being interested in the work being done.
Don't treat the customer as an idiot or interference in your working day, and you stand a chance of getting the customer returning.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I think people on here expect rather too much from someone in a basic NMW job.
I've had a bike from Decathlon and one from Halfords and the one from Halfords was miles better in my opinion.I would never, ever buy another bike from Decathlon. In fact since I had that fiasco I've not bought anything from there full stop.
At the end of the day, you pay your money and make your choices.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I think people on here expect rather too much from someone in a basic NMW job.
Most jobs below a certain level these days are NMW.. Nobody is expecting them to be superstars; but they could at least show some interest in their job, or a desire to at least treat customers with some respect and humanity. My own job is not much more than NMW but if I showed the same level of enthusiasm, or lack of people skills, as some staff in Halfords (or Curry's) I would have been shown the door a long time ago.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Most jobs below a certain level these days are NMW.. Nobody is expecting them to be superstars; but they could at least show some interest in their job, or a desire to at least treat customers with some respect and humanity. My own job is not much more than NMW but if I showed the same level of enthusiasm, or lack of people skills, as some staff in Halfords (or Curry's) I would have been shown the door a long time ago.
When I've been in Halfords, the staff have always been polite, no one has been rude or disrespectful. The same with Curry's, but I've had a very rude delivery man with them who said more or less that everyone who lived in my area were scum. I complained about that because it was offensive.

Reactions: C R
Check out the reviews on the Decathlon I've seen loads of negative reviews there with regard people having a bad experience. Halfords sell significantly more bikes than Decathlon in the UK although no question Decathlon sell a lot of bikes. It should also be factored in Decathlon have had many more recalls than Halfords thats when a significant number of bikes have failed, I would consider a bike frame collapsing under you a negative experience. I mean with chains like Evans and Go Outdoors neither compare to Halfords sales and I'd say in the case of Go Outdoors quite similar to Halfords. I don't see a huge amount of complaints about Go Outdoors compared to the other three but I'm not convinced that is because they are better trained just they sell significantly less bikes. It's important to be fair in any comparison, 25p in every £ for cycling is spent at Halfords which could equate to up to 40% of bikes sold in the UK sold at Halfords because of their lower cost which is a staggering figure. Last time I looked Decathlon were like 2-3% which was either what they had or were heading towards. I'm in the south west and simply don't have any Decathlon stores near me. I think the Poole store is about 50 miles away. I probably have about 5 or 6 Halfords stores within 25 miles.

The different brands excel in different areas too. I see in the real world a huge amount of Halfords bikes but they are typically mainly Carrera and mountain bikes and I would say many of their owners are teenagers. Decathlon mountain bikes in my experience are fairly poor on spec and not particularly good in comparison. I feel Decathlon excel more for road bikes and I see more Decathlon road bikes out and about. I feel like Decathlon sales are more skewed towards road bikes but that is just a guess by me by what I see.

The most damning reviews I see for bikes is Amazon, ebay and Argos. They pretty much just ship boxed bikes that needs careful assembly and adjustment and you see some incredibly unfair reviews on there clearly from people who bought such bikes but were clueless about assembly and didn't take to a bike shop for assembly as stated in the manual. They just want a cheap bike and have no idea about long term maintenance of a bike. Which ever shop it is there will always be a percentage of unfair reviews and the higher the sales the more there will be. Halfords sell a lot more bikes than all independent bike shops put together, they may not be such high value bikes. High value bikes I would say are typically in a better state from the factory too so far less work to be done by the dealer.

My own personal experience of having bought two bikes from a shop, one a local independent bike shop and one at Halfords although many years ago was that the local bike shop was poor for customer service but my local Halfords was very good. I should add the bike bought from Halfords was a Carrera Subway 8 with 8 speed nexus gears and roller brakes. Not a run of the mill bike. I didn't have a clue about adjusting the roller brakes myself at the time but Halfords were spot on servicing the bike after 6 weeks which was the last time it went to Halfords.

Top Bottom