Halls of residence and boiler

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Milo

Guru
It was a case of lighting the pilot light and a bit of a pressure problem. Something I could fix myself. However boiler cuboard is locked. Not exactly a 6 day job.

Brains

Legendary Member
As a Landlord, unless you have a special non standard tenancy agreement, the standard tenancy agreements are not a SLA (Service Level Agreement), there is nothing in the contract that says that the landlord needs to provide you with anything, and they are under no obligation to get anything fixed within any time period.

As a tenant of course, you have the right to walk out, and demand back your deposit, which as these days as is held in Escrow, so you would get it back if push came to shove.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Brains said:
As a tenant of course, you have the right to walk out, and demand back your deposit, which as these days as is held in Escrow, so you would get it back if push came to shove.

Is that near Chippenham? :biggrin:

milo said:
It was a case of lighting the pilot light and a bit of a pressure problem. Something I could fix myself. However boiler cuboard is locked. Not exactly a 6 day job.

In that case, the landlords need shoeing...

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd send them a letter saying that you're deducting a small sum of money from the rental, and circulate it. Other students may copy it.

In my experience universities treat their students like bumfluff, and you'll doubtless get a threatening letter back, telling you that if you don't pay the full amount they'll withhold your degree (so f*cking what - nobody ever wants to see your degree certificate in any case). But if you make the point without resort to hyperbole, it will stick, and there will be a small amount of deserved internal grief within the university.

I'd even ask your parents to write a letter - this sounds patronising, but, while universities despise their students they really fear the parents.

dellzeqq said:
I'd even ask your parents to write a letter - this sounds patronising, but, while universities despise their students they really fear the parents.

Not true! Parents have very little sway with universities, in my experience. We only ever dealt with students, because they are independent adults, and can look after themselves. An interfering parent was always given short shrift, not least by me. In fact it was policy not to speak to parents where i used to work.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Kirstie said:
Not true! Parents have very little sway with universities, in my experience. We only ever dealt with students, because they are independent adults, and can look after themselves. An interfering parent was always given short shrift, not least by me. In fact it was policy not to speak to parents where i used to work.
I called up Guys when my eldest was there to complain about the halls (which were a disgrace). The jobsworth at the other end shrivelled in to a small ball and started begging for mercy. And it got fixed - in that the people who were supposed to be looking after the reception started looking after the reception instead of sleeping on the job, or whatever they were doing.

dellzeqq said:
I called up Guys when my eldest was there to complain about the halls (which were a disgrace). The jobsworth at the other end shrivelled in to a small ball and started begging for mercy. And it got fixed - in that the people who were supposed to be looking after the reception started looking after the reception instead of sleeping on the job, or whatever they were doing.

Oh right I've sometimes had the whinging parent who is horrified to find that their little darling is not quite as intellectually 'gifted' as they thought, has failed their accounting exam (or whatever), and they have with the threat of legal action, requested a remark. They don't get anywhere with me...

Brains

Legendary Member
Fnaar said:
Is that near Chippenham? :o)

An escrow account is

• an account established by a broker, under the provisions of license law, for the purpose of holding funds on behalf of the broker's principal or some other person until the consummation or termination of a transaction, or
  • a trust account held in the borrower's name to pay obligations such as property taxes and insurance premiums.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Brains said:
An escrow account is

• an account established by a broker, under the provisions of license law, for the purpose of holding funds on behalf of the broker's principal or some other person until the consummation or termination of a transaction, or
  • a trust account held in the borrower's name to pay obligations such as property taxes and insurance premiums.

Yes, but is it near Chippenham? :biggrin:
No, thank you for the explanation.

Top Bottom