Hamilton again (Spoiler)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Chuffy said:
It's been great last year and this. More excitement, more overtaking and frankly Hamilton is brilliant to watch. You could never accuse him of being clinical and boring, he certainly keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Cynical and boring, yes I can and will.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Chuffy said:
It's only team orders if the team radio the drivers to swap positions during the race. If it's been decided upon before the race starts then it's perfectly ok...
Go figure. :biggrin:

Personally I hope that the extra point that the stewards found down the back of the sofa and gave to Massa in Japan doesn't make any difference to the championship.

It really irritated me today when James Allen was talking up Massa saying how wonderful he was and that he should have dusted up the championship but it's simply rubbish. Massa's championship campaign has benefitted through 7 net points to him.

A tie break is interesting now as Massa and Hamilton have and equal number of wins and second places so Massa would win a tie. It was somewhat disappointing today as Kovalainen, Massa, Kubica didn't have particularly good days at all but with swapping places made Massa's performance look much better.

Lardyboy said:
Cynical and boring, yes I can and will.
Grumpy git! I only started watching F1 again because Hamilton made it so much more exciting. The end of the Belgian GP was about as thrilling as F1 gets and his drive at Silverstone was fantastic.

marinyork

It's just a reflection of Massa needs to finish infront. It'd have been more interesting if they weren't quite equal say Massa had got 1 less 2nd place as Hamilton would have won every single tie breaker then.

Massa wins in Brazil. Massa has more victories therefore Hamilton needs 5th (rather than 6th).
Massa gets second. Massa has more second places therefore Hamilton needs 6th place rather than 7th.

That's discounting of course some creative rule calls such as say a 10 place demotion for not slowing down enough for a yellow flag in a free practice or subtract points. I'm sure they'll think of something :biggrin:.

Chuffy said:
Grumpy git! I only started watching F1 again because Hamilton made it so much more exciting. The end of the Belgian GP was about as thrilling as F1 gets and his drive at Silverstone was fantastic.

Guilty as charged.

But, Spa only came alive when it started to rain again, didn't see Silverstone so can't comment.

So what has Hamilton done to make F1 more exciting?

marinyork

Lardyboy said:
Guilty as charged.

But, Spa only came alive when it started to rain again, didn't see Silverstone so can't comment.

Well we haven't had this level of hatred for a driver by the authorities, really since Senna was about. Jacques Villeneuve certainly had a few dodgy ones and miffed off a few people but not so big as Hamilton.

As for interesting drivers I think the sport lost a lot when Montoya got fed up with things.

Lardyboy said:
Guilty as charged.

He really, really enjoys racing, as opposed to merely driving round as fast as you can. Which means lots of brilliant/hairy overtaking. Plus you never quite know what is going to happen. He might haul his way through the field after screwing up in qualifying or he might ram someone in the pit lane. Great fun. :biggrin:

Add in the back story (he's not the son of a multi-millionaire ex-F1 driver) and the fact that he's an articulate, intelligent and focussed young chap and he becomes more impressive as a character.

Melvil

Chuffy said:
He really, really enjoys racing, as opposed to merely driving round as fast as you can. Which means lots of brilliant/hairy overtaking. Plus you never quite know what is going to happen. He might haul his way through the field after screwing up in qualifying or he might ram someone in the pit lane. Great fun. :biggrin:

Add in the back story (he's not the son of a multi-millionaire ex-F1 driver) and the fact that he's an articulate, intelligent and focussed young chap and he becomes more impressive as a character.

+1

marinyork said:
Well we haven't had this level of hatred for a driver by the authorities, really since Senna was about.
It's not just the authorities. He seems to be disliked by a lot of (British) fans too. I think I can see why, he's a bit too polished, a bit too self assured. Once he's won a championship or two he'll be able to get away with it. I mean, even that arrogant, cheating bar-steward of a German cobbler had fans.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Chuffy said:
It's not just the authorities. He seems to be disliked by a lot of (British) fans too. I think I can see why, he's a bit too polished, a bit too self assured. Once he's won a championship or two he'll be able to get away with it. I mean, even that arrogant, cheating bar-steward of a German cobbler had fans.
We don't like winners.

Two of our most popular sportsmen in recent decades have been Eddie The Eagle and Frank Bruno.

marinyork

Chuffy said:

Some of that is probably Do-Ron's fault. He does seem to hoover up people with a particular image to fit in with the corporate image of McLaren and it's notable the list of people he has allegedly declined or been declined of the services. In the Manufacturer's era is similar with other teams. You see it with other sports too, young, well groomed, polished, cool stars stepping in at an early age after years preparation.

British fans seem to have gone off British Drivers. Coulthard was never particularly popular and Button is pretty disliked. I don't know why this is, whether ferrari fans have increased in numbers after years like 2002 and 2004.

marinyork said:
Some of that is probably Do-Ron's fault. He does seem to hoover up people with a particular image to fit in with the corporate image of McLaren and it's notable the list of people he has allegedly declined or been declined of the services. In the Manufacturer's era is similar with other teams. You see it with other sports too, young, well groomed, polished, cool stars stepping in at an early age after years preparation.

British fans seem to have gone off British Drivers. Coulthard was never particularly popular and Button is pretty disliked. I don't know why this is, whether ferrari fans have increased in numbers after years like 2002 and 2004.
I don't know a lot about F1 politics. To me, Ron Dennis is just another team owner.

Coulthard deserves to be better regarded. He was a very good driver, just not quite good enough to win. Whereas Button is a bit crap. :angry:

I have no doubt at all about Lewis Hamilton's ability as a driver and he will win a championship sooner rather than later. However, he must learn to keep his mouth shut and remember that, so far, he has achieved very little.

The worst crime any sportsman can commit, no matter how talented, is to let your peers know that you FEEL that you're superior to everyone else

Don't forget the approx. £11,000,000 invested in him over 12 years by McLaren meant his parents never had to re-re-mortgage their house and get loan after loan to break into F1 as Nigel Mansell had to when he tried to get into the sport. A number of new F1 drivers would have been where he is now if they had been given the breaks that he has.

Hamilton has such a profound belief as the best driver in F1 that he has no compunction about driving others off the road and seeing nothing wrong in it (ask Adrian Sutil, Timo Glock, and Mark Webber).

Some of his recent quotes say it all.

"I don't get overtaken, I do the overtaking," (Tell that to Fernando Alonso).

"I don't get overtaken on the outside," (Tell that to Felipe Massa).

"I just moved to cover my line and keep off the wet," (After almost taking Mark Webber off at Monza).

"If the rain would have come, I would have won,'" (Tell that to Sebastian Vettel).

And don't get me started on the F.I.A. and Bernie!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Top Bottom