Hammerhead Karoo computer tweaks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I've had my Karoo for about 10 months now. It's a great little device but the software isn't yet exploiting the full potential of the hardware so I've followed in the wake of a growing number of users by making some personalisations :okay: I've not done anything new or creative, just followed their instructions but thought I'd share my progress none the less :laugh:

Here's the Karoo alongside the bone conducting headphones I intend to try out over the coming days with a view to using on the commute in the new year.

20181227_163027.jpg

What you can see on the display in that picture is the Karoo's main menu from which you can start a ride, view previous acitivities, pair sensors etc.

Karoo is basically an android device, running Android 6.0, and whilst it is fairly well sealed off from the outside world it is possible to sideload applications to it from a PC or Mac via USB. I've spent the last few days experimenting and have got to a stage where I'm ready to try it out in the wild with my new settings :laugh: So now, with a swipe in from the left you are greeted with this newly installed overlay menu:

20181227_163111.jpg

This gives direct links to the new bits I've added, namely NovaLauncher (essentially a new main menu), firefox, a media player, whatsapp, dropbox and the OsmAnd mapping app. If you tap the first item, NovaLauncher, it takes you to the new launcher screen...

20181227_163119.jpg

...and it instantly looks a little more like the Android we all know and love :laugh: Here's BlackPlayer, the media player I have installed. This involved changing the USB debugging mode to allow me to view the contents of the device in order to transfer some media files across to its 9GB inbuilt storage...

20181227_163136.jpg

... and here is OsmAnd which I'm sure a fair few of you will be familiar with, it's a great mapping utility and allows the use of GPX overlays to create turn by turn navigation cues which are displayed as well as audio cues via bluetooth. The standard Karoo mapping software is ok but the turn by turn routing is a little buggy and it doesnt have audio cues as yet.

20181227_163246.jpg

I've added the firefox browser to allow me to quickly find and download new GPX files if needed, and obviously view the CycleChat forum...

20181227_163327.jpg

And I've loaded WhatsApp so wifey can call me over the bluetooth headphones while I'm out and about, and track me if needed.

20181227_163425.jpg

This all runs in parallel with the standard functions so it'll still display speed, cadence and all the standard features while I'm on the move, with the option of accessing these new features via the new overlay menu if needed :becool:

Irritatingly they have blocked google play services amongst other things so you can't add new apps from google play, or run any apps that require your google login to function. That aside, technically I guess you could sideload anything you wanted :laugh:

The real brilliance is you don't have to do anything 'bad' to the device to achieve this and a simple factory reset will take it completely back to standard if there are any problems in the future :okay: A few people have rooted their device and gone further than this with the customisation but a) I'm not capable of doing that and b) it's irreversible so if you brick the device its an expensive error :laugh:

Anyway, just thought I'd share what's been keeping me entertained for the last few days :laugh: All ready to go for the new year commute now with new out front mount added to the commuter ^_^

20181227_162527.jpg

Attachments

• 20181227_163057.jpg
    20181227_163057.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 53

J1888

Über Member
How much of an effect does the extra functionality have on the battery life?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
How much of an effect does the extra functionality have on the battery life?

Minimal I would think but haven't tried it in anger since I made the changes. The antennae and screen use most of the power, a few extra apps running shouldn't affect things greatly :okay: Before the changes it used about 10% an hour with everything on and less ifyou put it im aeroplane mode which is plenty enough for what I'll ever need it for :laugh:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
So you have basically reverted it to an Android phone but with Karoo form factor?

Not really, the hardware is optimised for use as a bike computer so it'll never be a fully functional android phone. What I've done is added the extra functionality I feel it should have out of the box. I am confident that in time I'll be able to factory reset the device as it will have been updated to include these features. Until then, this is my solution :laugh:

Lpoolck

Veteran
Does WhatsApp and the Internet work when out on the road without a WiFi connection? If so, where does it get its data from? Does it use your phone as a hotspot?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Does WhatsApp and the Internet work when out on the road without a WiFi connection? If so, where does it get its data from? Does it use your phone as a hotspot?

The Karoo has a SIM slot so you can connect it to a 3G data network. If you do not fit a SIM you can connect it to your Phone as a hotspot instead :okay:

J1888

Über Member
Minimal I would think but haven't tried it in anger since I made the changes. The antennae and screen use most of the power, a few extra apps running shouldn't affect things greatly :okay: Before the changes it used about 10% an hour with everything on and less ifyou put it im aeroplane mode which is plenty enough for what I'll ever need it for :laugh:

Cool! Keep us updated if you don’t mind, interested to see how it works out for you - would consider doing something like this myself

adamhearn

Veteran
I think I'd sooner pick up a cheap phone for a lot less cost and have full functionality out of the box. I don't see anything particularly unique/amazing with the device itself?

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I think I'd sooner pick up a cheap phone for a lot less cost and have full functionality out of the box. I don't see anything particularly unique/amazing with the device itself?

In a way you're right; on paper there isn't a lot between the Karoo and most mobile phones. What is missing is how well the Karoo works as a data recorder and data display with the native software - 90% of the time I don't have the map onscreen, I'm displaying live data fields. It automatically uploads a ride to Strava as soon as you end the ride. If you create a route on the online hammerhead dashboard it is automatically uploaded to the device within seconds of hitting save. Also you shouldn't forget just how good the screen is in bright sunlight and when wet, cold etc. - it really can cope in all situations. It's clear a lot of thought has gone in to designing the hardware, it would be unfair to assume that since it runs Android its just a repackaged phone. Also ask yourself whether a modern phone would last 10 hrs with the screen on bright enough to see in direct sunlight whilst running GPS navigation software - I'd be fairly surprised if most would last half that. All this said, you could make a cheap phone do 70% of what the Karoo can do without much fuss, but I like new tech and gadgets and will always be an early adopter of new fangled wizardry :laugh: I can totally see why this wouldn't appeal to some, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise :laugh::okay:

Cool! Keep us updated if you don’t mind, interested to see how it works out for you - would consider doing something like this myself

I will report back as soon as I've had a chance to go out for a ride - maybe tomorrow afternoon unless the gap in my diary closes up :laugh: I've been playing with the bone conducting headphones and am pleasantly surprised by the audio quality, yet to see what they're like with added wind noise though :smile:

adamhearn

Veteran
I was certainly keen and appreciate that phones have [significant] limitations. Sadly I stopped being interested after seeing it costs £399 (though presently on sale at £315) and then all the waffle about how wonderful it is to have a walled garden.

I’m equally unimpressed with the competition too :smile:

J1888

Über Member
In a way you're right; on paper there isn't a lot between the Karoo and most mobile phones. What is missing is how well the Karoo works as a data recorder and data display with the native software - 90% of the time I don't have the map onscreen, I'm displaying live data fields. It automatically uploads a ride to Strava as soon as you end the ride. If you create a route on the online hammerhead dashboard it is automatically uploaded to the device within seconds of hitting save. Also you shouldn't forget just how good the screen is in bright sunlight and when wet, cold etc. - it really can cope in all situations. It's clear a lot of thought has gone in to designing the hardware, it would be unfair to assume that since it runs Android its just a repackaged phone. Also ask yourself whether a modern phone would last 10 hrs with the screen on bright enough to see in direct sunlight whilst running GPS navigation software - I'd be fairly surprised if most would last half that. All this said, you could make a cheap phone do 70% of what the Karoo can do without much fuss, but I like new tech and gadgets and will always be an early adopter of new fangled wizardry :laugh: I can totally see why this wouldn't appeal to some, I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise :laugh::okay:

I will report back as soon as I've had a chance to go out for a ride - maybe tomorrow afternoon unless the gap in my diary closes up :laugh: I've been playing with the bone conducting headphones and am pleasantly surprised by the audio quality, yet to see what they're like with added wind noise though :smile:

I’ve had two pairs of Aftershokz - fantastic for then commute, and I only used them for podcasts so audio quality not an issue. Both sets snapped though...

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I know very little about the Karoo device other than reading online reviews all of which suggest this device is a "work in progress." This thread seems to confirm the point.

I'd be interested to know why one would buy a product launched before it was fully ready for use? Especially when the Wahoo Elemnt is +/- £100 cheaper and is, as far as I'm aware, fully functional. I should add I'm a convert from a Garmin 810 (which I never really trusted) to the Wahoo which to date has proved faultless.

adamhearn

Veteran
It has all the smell of the recent style of product development... get the public to buy in advance (crowdfunded) then fail to deliver on promises but disguise that with continual updates :smile:

I know joe public expects the moon on a stick but when/why did this become the norm?!

It’s good to read the initial post as I’d not heard of the device previously and it gives a balanced approach to moving forward rather than just bitching about it being poor.

@PaulSB As to why one might buy one, your last statement answers your own question. The established market no longer offers what the modern day gadget consumer’s insatiable need to follow the next trend expects.

Top Bottom