Hammock camping in the wilds of Aberfoyle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
This is an account of my first ever bicycle camping trip. Nothing overly ambitious, it was a mere "overnighter", 24 hours from departure to return.

No towering Alpine passes were conquered (though there is quite a steep hill between Drymen and Aberfoyle), there were no epic struggles between man and the elements (though it did get a bit chilly overnight), I wasn't travelling unsupported across an empty wilderness (stopping for icecream, coffee and beer reduced the need for carrying so many supplies of my own), I was neither attacked nor kidnapped by outlandishly attired and incomprehensible natives (despite travelling through Dumbarton) and I had neither a "proper" touring bike or a tent (more on those points later).

My decision to take this little trip was a last minute one. Just before leaving work before the Easter bank holiday weekend I checked thr weather forecast and was surprised to discover we were due for sunshine over the next four days. Plans began to form on my cycle home and my negotiating stance for taking two days off by myself IF I spent the other two days doing stuff with the wife and kids was prepared.

Permission granted, I set about retrieving camping kit from the loft and planning a route.

I own a couple of tents which I've used extensively in the past for car and motorbike camping but none of them are suitable for cycle touring thanks to bulk and weight. In place of a tent came plan B and I dug out my camping hammock and tarp. I've used this on canoe trips to the islands of Loch Lomond before but not for a while. The advantage is that it's relatively light and compact (though no more so than a typical one man tent), has a built in midgie net and can be pitched over rough ground.

The disadvantage of course is that you generally require trees to hang a hammock and tarp from.

I was able to fit the hammock, thermarest, light sleeping bag and fleece for evening into one pannier, pump, lock, food, spare water and Trangia stove (bulky, but I do love my Trangia!) in the other and small essentials (camera, wallet, etc) in a bar bag. The tarp went on the rack. It didn't seem too heavy and looked neat and compact.

My plan was to ride the 40 miles from Erskine to Aberfoyle, following NCN Route 7. Once there I'd continue into the forests around Loch Ard and camp wild for the night, returning the following day.

I set off on Sunday lunchtime. The bike felt a little unstable under the weight at first but after a mile or so I got used to it and didn't notice it after that. The first climb over Erskine Bridge went okay and I was soon barelling along the excellent track towards Dumbarton with a strong tailwind catching my panniers like sails.

After Balloch the climbs started as the route took to small country lanes in the hills to the South of the main road.

As the rest of the route will involve a fairly continual succession of climbs and descents, this is probably a good moment to mention The Bike.

My trusty companion on this adventure was my old 80s carbolite Peugeot road bike. For touring purposes it benefited from a rear rack capable of carrying panniers just outside of heel striking distance and was a comfortable frame that as well as daily commuting, I've ridden a century on before. Unfortunately it also had a fairly new leather saddle (a Spa Cycles "Nidd") which was still being broken in, Sora 8 speed road bike gearing (42/52 front and 12-25 rear) which I knew beforehand would be far too highly geared for lugging a load up hills. It also had an out of alignment rear derailleur following an incident earlier in the week... I had ordered an alignment tool from Wiggle but it hadn't arrived in time for the weekend. This meant the bike would sit nicely either in the lowest 4 or the hightest 4 gears, but not the whole cassette.

Not far out of Balloch I came to the decision that the ability to climb was more important than the ability to speed downhill and the derailleur cable was suitable adjusted to give nice low range shifting and left that way for the rest of the trip.

Despite a moderate headwind now that I'd turned East from Balloch, the sun was out and the short sections of off-road track that I encountered were dry and presented no issues to my 25mm road bike tyres.

13977517443_88300b846b_c.jpg

Narrow bridge near Croftamie.

I arrived in Drymen and with the signs telling me I only had another ten miles until Aberfoyle, stopped for a celebratory icecream. I didn't know it at the time but I would need every calorie I gained from that soon enough.

Out of Drymen, the old military road climbs relentlessly for a couple of miles. Struggling out of the saddle, trying to drive the heavily loaded bike onwards and upwards with my 42-25 lowest gear, I desperately tried not to get off and push, motivated by the audience of walkers on the West Highland Way which also runs along some of this section. I made it... just and was soon freewheeling at 40mph down the other side, crouched low in the drops while I let gravity reclaimed me.

13954308371_8e6152a146_c.jpg

NCN 7 near Aberfoyle.

There were some other steeper but shorter climbs before Aberfoyle but I'd broken the back of it and it wasn't long before I was enjoying a pint outside the Forth Bar before I set off to find a secluded forest spot for the night's wild camp.

Exploring the forest trails North of Aberfoyle, I was pleasantly surprised at how well the relatively narrow road tyres and loaded bike coped with the rough tracks. I was soon in the middle of the Loch Ard Forest and chose a spot next to a small loch, Lochan Ghleannain to make camp.

13977448433_d3593b2810_c.jpg

My campsite.

It took me longer than it should to get the tarp then hammock hung from two suitable trees but eventually I was happy with the setup and I set up my stove to cook dinner, to the sound of ducks on the loch, happy that the midgies had not put in an appearance.

cont...

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
The night was a fairly cold one, not helped by the lightweight sleeping bag I had brought (my preferred choice would have filled most of one pannier by itself) and I finally got up before 6am with the thermometer on the cycle computer showing 3'C. Making hot chocolate before dry frying some butteries (a very unhealthy Aberdonian treat) meant I was soon warmed up. After that I broke camp and was on the road for 7am.

At that time on Easter Monday, Aberfoyle was empty as I passed through and the day seemed fresh and full of the possibilties of adventure. Unfortunately I was merely heading home however, retracing my steps from the previous day but a sense of excitement filled me none the less.

13977314253_ee9762c02f_c.jpg

The start of the climb back towards Drymen.

Somehow, the long climb back towards Drymen didn't seem as bad in this direction and I made good progress. I stopped for coffee and cake (of course!) in the new Starbucks near Dumbarton and was home for lunchtime.

13957721994_997203f6ca_c.jpg

Refuelling.

Lessons learned?

The biggest issue was the bike's gearing and I will definitely be fitting a cassette with a lower range before next time. There were a lot of times when I wished I had lower gearing.

The hammock and tarp worked okay but I think I'd have been better off with a light one man tent - giving me more choice of camping locations. I think I'll invest in something like a Vango Banshee at some point.

The saddle presented no problems on the 90 miles I covered over the two days and I can really recommend Spa's leather saddles as a cheaper alternative to a Brooks.

I was concerned about my tyres beforehand - cheap 25mm Vittoria Rubinos but they coped perfectly well and most importantly, had no p*nctures! I did try to fit a pair of 28mm Schwalbe Marathon Pluses I have in the shed. I may have just about got away with them with frame clearance but my wheel rims were too narrow to take them.

All things considered, the trip was a great success and I'm looking forward to repeating the experience.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
I like the idea of this but with my balance issues I'd be scared I'd turn over and fall out!
As you can ride a bike, I'll presume your balance can't be that bad! :smile:

Once you're in the hammock and lying down, the sides pretty well envelope you so you can't really fall out (famous last words, I know!). The only tricky bit is getting in and out until you're used to it. It was a bit wobbly while I was taking my shoes off and getting into my sleeping bag. I stuck two long sticks into the ground next to the hammock to hang my shoes on upside down and within easy reach. It kept them off the ground and away from bugs!

One thing I'd do differently next time in a hammock would be to make sure both ends were level. I pitched it slightly higher at the head end, thinking this would be more comfortable. Unfortunately this meant I kept sliding downwards on the slippery surface of my thermarest, having to repeatedly crawl back up the hammock caterpillar style during the night.

ScotiaLass

Guru
As you can ride a bike, I'll presume your balance can't be that bad! :smile:

Once you're in the hammock and lying down, the sides pretty well envelope you so you can't really fall out (famous last words, I know!). The only tricky bit is getting in and out until you're used to it. It was a bit wobbly while I was taking my shoes off and getting into my sleeping bag. I stuck two long sticks into the ground next to the hammock to hang my shoes on upside down and within easy reach. It kept them off the ground and away from bugs!

One thing I'd do differently next time in a hammock would be to make sure both ends were level. I pitched it slightly higher at the head end, thinking this would be more comfortable. Unfortunately this meant I kept sliding downwards on the slippery surface of my thermarest, having to repeatedly crawl back up the hammock caterpillar style during the night.
I have my moments :laugh:
I am a restless sleeper so could see me pitching over in that!

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
Brilliant. I love the minimalist approach (though probably couldn't manage it myself). Well done to you for your fist trip! Comin' up to Killin on Saturday for a three night wild camping tour. Sh**loads of gear compared to you.
Cheers
Geoff

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
PS I assume this was last weekend and REALLY pleased to hear no midges!
It was Easter weekend so a month ago. With a mild winter, I'm sure the midgies would have been about if the weather had been to their liking. Luckily there was enough of a breeze to keep them grounded. I packed an overhead midgie net just in case and suggest you do the same!

My wife swears by Avon Skin So Soft as a midgie repellent. It's also endorsed by the Royal Marines apparently, which is reason enough to make me prefer to just cover up and use a midgie net instead.

Moan the midgies .....
Despite spending years trying to just MTFU and ignore the wee b*****ds, as well as giving them credit for keeping the Highlands de-populated, I just can't bring myself to like your comment :angry:. After a week hiking around Lochinver last year in shorts and sandals though, I will admit that I prefer the Highland midgie to blood sucking and potentially limes disease carrying ticks any day.

Great write up. I thought my hybrid's 40-28 lowest was a tad high for these local climbs (it's in the process of being converted to a triple with 28-28 lowest) but 42-25! Respect.
If I'd planned more in advance, there's no way I would have set off with the gearing I had. It was a case of plain old fashioned teuchter stubborness triumphing over common sense.

Converting to a triple sounds a good option and is something I'd considered. At very least though, I'm going to change the rear cassette to one with either a 28 or 30 lowest cog before next time.

stuee147

I have my moments :laugh:
I am a restless sleeper so could see me pitching over in that!
i am a restless sleeper its not unusual for me to have to put the bottom sheet back on the mattress 2 or 3 times a night, but i can assure you a good hammock you wont fall out of i have a DD hammocks and a tenth wonder hammock both are excellent but i prefer the DD hammocks one as it has a zip on both sides and has a couple of pockets inside for phone water ect and also it has a double lined base that is fully waterproof and can be set out on the ground useing a couple of poles to hold the mozzy net up and you can camp on the ground. and coupled with the DD hammocks tarp it makes a light and small pack.

stuee

Top Bottom