Hammock camping in the wilds of Aberfoyle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
i am a restless sleeper its not unusual for me to have to put the bottom sheet back on the mattress 2 or 3 times a night, but i can assure you a good hammock you wont fall out of i have a DD hammocks and a tenth wonder hammock both are excellent but i prefer the DD hammocks one as it has a zip on both sides and has a couple of pockets inside for phone water ect and also it has a double lined base that is fully waterproof and can be set out on the ground useing a couple of poles to hold the mozzy net up and you can camp on the ground. and coupled with the DD hammocks tarp it makes a light and small pack.

stuee

The DD hammocks get good reviews. My tarp is a DD tarp though my hammocks are cheaper (and older) Tenth Wonder hammocks bought from eBay quite a few years ago - I have one with and one without the mossie net.

My backup plan in case I didn't find somewhere with suitable trees was to camp with the hammock on the ground beneath the tarp, possibly guying out the bike upside-down to support the tarp at one end.

Ruthie

Über Member
Lovely write-up,. thanks for posting it!

stuee147

The DD hammocks get good reviews. My tarp is a DD tarp though my hammocks are cheaper (and older) Tenth Wonder hammocks bought from eBay quite a few years ago - I have one with and one without the mossie net.

My backup plan in case I didn't find somewhere with suitable trees was to camp with the hammock on the ground beneath the tarp, possibly guying out the bike upside-down to support the tarp at one end.

i can highly recommend the DD hammocks iv had mine for almost 3 years now and its had a lot of use in all weathers and all year round even in the snow lol and there is no sings of wear or fraying on it at all. i got the one witch can be used as a bivy bag to as its got the water proof base and iv set it up and used it on the floor several times loads of room inside the netting. i either carry 2 extendible walking poles or just find sticks to use to prop the tarp up and tie the mozzy net to, the walking poles are great as they are light and can be strapped to the frame with Velcro or so para cored that can be used as a guyrope.

iv also got 2 tenth wonder hammocks 1 with and 1 without the netting the one without is small enough to stick in your pocket on a hot day and find a couple of trees over a river and chill in the sun lol

i also use the meth stove but i only carry the stove bit not all the pots i then have a nice little 750ml billycan the stove wrapped in a bit of rag and a small bottle of meth and small square of sponge and some washing up liquid. a 2ft x 1ft bit of tin foil (use for cooking and as windshild with a few stick found on site) and then i have enough room to add some tea coffee sugar ect and normally a couple of cupa soups and of course some matches or lighter. with it all packed in the billy can it fits nicely into the side pocket of my panniers. i also slide in my honey stove which packs completely flat and slides in next to the billycan. the honey stove will hold the trangia or can be used with sticks found on sight and will hold the billy can and also has a small grill very useful

stuee

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
i can highly recommend the DD hammocks iv had mine for almost 3 years now and its had a lot of use in all weathers and all year round even in the snow
Do you use an underblanket with your hammocks in winter? I was thinking of trying to make one that I could take instead of a sleeping bag for 2-3 season use. Not camped in winter for a while but think I'd rather be in a tent if it's cold enough for snow!

i also use the meth stove but i only carry the stove bit not all the pots i then have a nice little 750ml billycan the stove wrapped in a bit of rag and a small bottle of meth and small square of sponge and some washing up liquid. a 2ft x 1ft bit of tin foil (use for cooking and as windshild with a few stick found on site) and then i have enough room to add some tea coffee sugar ect and normally a couple of cupa soups and of course some matches or lighter. with it all packed in the billy can it fits nicely into the side pocket of my panniers. i also slide in my honey stove which packs completely flat and slides in next to the billycan. the honey stove will hold the trangia or can be used with sticks found on sight and will hold the billy can and also has a small grill very useful

stuee
I've seen these wee flat-pack fire boxes that can use sticks or a trangia burner. They would make a lighter and more compact solution for cycle touring. I just bunged the whole thing in this time - both pots, kettle and a half litre fuel bottle which was far more than I needed for getting a couple of brews on and cooking a packet of curry savoury rice for dinner!

stuee147

575_E_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg
BPLUK%20SS%20Honey1[1].jpg

this is the honey stove i use iv had it about 2 years and its designed so when packed flat it fits in the leg pocket on a pair of combats. im not sure of the weight but its not much. i used to carry a ally wind breaker it was very light but it was quite bulky and was a bit awkward to fit into my pack so i got some heavy duty tinfoil its about twice the thickness of normal stuff and folds up lovely and its easy to get a couple of twigs and stick them into the ground to hold the foil iv also used coats scarves all sorts just make sure there not to close to the flames lol
i have several cook kits depending on where, how long and how many people there will be. from my day out kit thats meth stove honey stove crusader mug and few cuppa soups and tea bags up to the full set that has a couple of honey stoves and meth burners and a gas stove and griddle for an open fire.
i have a bit of cotton cloth about 1 or 2 feet square i use it to qive the meth burner a wipe before packing away and then i wrap the cloth round the stove and pop it into a zip lock bag. then i pop it into either my crusader cup or my billy can the cloth stops it rattling about and the bag stops the smell of meth getting into your cooking pots.

as for sleeping i have a thermilight sleep mat its the type that self inflates to about 1" thick but rolls up small and packs in a side pocket of my pack, if i use the tenth wonder hammock then i just lay the mat inside with my sleeping bag on top but in the DD hammock there is a special pocket that the sleep mat fits into. i have used an underblanket but i found it was way to bulky and it didnt make any difference at night. the other reason i prefer the sleep mat is if i want to use the hammock as a bivy bag on the ground i can with the mat but with an underblanket its harder.

as for winter camping iv never had a problem with a hammock. in the winter i like to carry my 4meter x 4meter tarp that way i can set the hammock up a couple of feet off the ground and then have the tarp over me and touching the ground either side i also fold one end in so im enclosed on 3 sides if i put the hammock on the ground as a bivy bag i can close both ends of the tarp off so its like a tent but without the poles just rope and pegs or sticks. iv camped out at -21 and not had any problems.
i have a lightweight sleeping bag thats rated down to -12 i think its a 3 to 4 season but not sure and in the winter i also carry a exarmy wool blanket and i use it wrapped around my shoulders while sitting by the fire eating, drinking or what ever and when i bed down i lay it on the sleepmat with my sleeping bag ontop and then wrap it over the top of me when im in the sleeping bag its kept me warm on many a cold night even down to -21.
i think it all depends on you. how much comfort do you want and how willing you are to carry the weight. over the years iv made thousands of kits up of all types cook kits, sleep kits, shelter kits ect each time iv made changes to either the comfort or options within the kit has changed or iv changed things to make it lighter or smaller. i dont think i will ever settle on a kit thats half the fun trying new stuff out.
one of the biggest tips i think i can give for making any kit is throw in a cheap flint and steel fire lighter if your matches or lighter get wet or run out then a flint and steel will always get you out of trouble.

stuee

Bobby Mhor

Wasn't born to follow
Like the write up :thumbsup:...
I've a trip planned up the same route although the Mhor will not be camping:rolleyes:
The 'curse' at this time of year kills it for the Bawb.

colly

Re member eR
@Teuchter How does your back feel after a night in a hammock ?
I really like the idea but I feel come the morning I would be unable to move and would need Air, Sea Rescue to come and get me.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
@Teuchter How does your back feel after a night in a hammock ?
I really like the idea but I feel come the morning I would be unable to move and would need Air, Sea Rescue to come and get me.
I had no problems... many people prefer a hammock to the ground for comfort. I don't have any back issues normally but funnily enough did pull a muscle in my lower back a few days before going. Even with this, I had no problems with the hammock.

OP
OP
Teuchter

Teuchter

Über Member
Great write up. Is the road you took from Drymen to Aberfoyle well signed?
As Rasmus said, it's well signposted from the North end of the square in Drymen - it follows a narrow road past the side of the pub.

Btw, nice write-up, @Teuchter . I'll join the chorus of calling you mad for taking on the pipe track with that gearing ^_^
Thanks Rasmus, praise indeed from a master hill climber like you!

Really enjoyed the post. Thanks. Good to see different angles on trips and particularly that it was basically with stuff out of your garage rather than with a shop full of new gear.

I have a Super Galaxy and have never put the panniers on it or done more than a day out on it. One day guilt will drive me to have a run down to Lands End or something.

Top Bottom