Hampshire Hilly 100 advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RUTHIEBAV

Hi, I've entered the Hampshire Hilly 100 in May and so has my husband. Neither of us has ever ridden a bike this far before. Has anyone you got any tips for us?

What do you eat? I'm doing lots of hill work (obviously) but do you have any training tips? How do you cope mentally with that distance?

We're really excited, have lovely new bikes which make it all feel more fun but are REALLY nervous.

Any advice appreciated.

RuthieB

lukesdad

Build up the miles gradually although you havnt got long, get in a few rides of 80% of the distance you want to ride. then taper off in the last couple of weeks. As to eating whatever takes your fancy and ll give you some energy and most important is easily digestable.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
What lukesdad said - build up gradually - snack before you're hungry, drink before you're thirsty.

It's also important to make sure your bikes are comfortable, especially on your bum, hands and feet, anything that feels a bit ouchy or numb after 30 miles is really going to be bugging you at 90! As your rides get longer you'll be able to figure out any sore points and make adjustments as necessary.

Start out nice and slowly, and on longer rides, make sure you take the time to look around and enjoy the scenery. Get off the bike every 20 miles or so for a stretch if you feel like it.

If you have a bad training ride, don't panic! Try to figure out what might have gone wrong (not enough to drink, tired muscles etc) but don't dwell on it.

On the day I'm sure all will be fine - the feeling of being part of an event will give you an extra boost, but try not to get sucked in to racing anyone, or worrying about your speed (unless you're aiming for a certain time, obviously!).

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thank you to both of you for your replies, the logic of your answers has helped to calm me down! I'm doing 40 mile rides at the moment and doing lots of hills (maybe too many as my knees are a bit sore today), it feels like a big jump to get to 100!

I hadn't actually thought about getting off the bike and having a rest, duh, and appreciating the scenery, yes you're right that makes the rides so much nicer and being comfortable, of course .... I hadn't thought of that.

I'll try to plan some longer rides - thanks Lukesdad, sometimes you can't see the obvious when you're doing it. I just tend to plug on doing the same rides over and over. I can do a bigger loop and see if I make it home!

Really appreciate your responses as I say the logic of your answers has calmed me down and I can see that I can do this, just got to keep plodding on.
RuthieB

PK99

Legendary Member
Thank you to both of you for your replies, the logic of your answers has helped to calm me down! I'm doing 40 mile rides at the moment and doing lots of hills (maybe too many as my knees are a bit sore today), it feels like a big jump to get to 100!

I hadn't actually thought about getting off the bike and having a rest, duh, and appreciating the scenery, yes you're right that makes the rides so much nicer and being comfortable, of course .... I hadn't thought of that.

I'll try to plan some longer rides - thanks Lukesdad, sometimes you can't see the obvious when you're doing it. I just tend to plug on doing the same rides over and over. I can do a bigger loop and see if I make it home!

Really appreciate your responses as I say the logic of your answers has calmed me down and I can see that I can do this, just got to keep plodding on.
RuthieB

When it gets to the day, don't be intimidated by the whippets on 2 ounce bikes who head off from the start at 25mph. Just let them go, you will find there are more than enough folks of your own level of experience to make it a great ride, as i did a couple of years ago as my second ever sportive

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Thanks PK99, that's sound advice, appreciate it and will try to follow it (may not be able to avoid feelings of intimidation but at least I can plan for it!)
RuthiB

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I can do a bigger loop and see if I make it home!
If I'm on my own I try to find figure of 8 routes so I don't feel as if I'm too far away from home if anything goes wrong.

Hills are good, but maybe if you could do a short hilly ride one day and a longer flatter ride the next it will help you build up.

At least one rest day a week is recommended, too!

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

If I'm on my own I try to find figure of 8 routes so I don't feel as if I'm too far away from home if anything goes wrong.

Thanks Baggy, so obvious but obviously not to me! I take my phone with me with the intention of calling the cavalry if I get too stuck (not happened yet but probably will tomorrow now I've typed that). I can easily do a figure of 8 route by linking two rides that I do.

Hills are good, but maybe if you could do a short hilly ride one day and a longer flatter ride the next it will help you build up.
Yes good thinking. Only problem I have to cycle quite a long way to get to hilly area! Need to rethink routes.

At least one rest day a week is recommended, too!

I've conked out today. Apparently while I was asleep last night I kept murmering in my sleep "ow, my legs ache, my legs ache" my husband thought I was awake. Thought I'd better have a rest today.
RuthieB

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
I've conked out today. Apparently while I was asleep last night I kept murmering in my sleep "ow, my legs ache, my legs ache" my husband thought I was awake.
:biggrin:

lukesdad

When you come to do the longer rides Make sure you give yourself plenty of recovery time. This doesnt mean not riding, a short easy ride the next day at a gentle pace will help with recovery and keep your legs "Fluid" hence the term recovery ride. :rolleyes:

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nutrition (for the event):
Lots of carbs the night before. Pasta is good, but not so much as you feel bloated the day before.
Substantial breakfast of "slow burn" foods - oats (as in muesli or porridge) are supposed to better than wheat based cereals. Avoid fry-ups.
30 to 15 minutes before start - banana (assuming you like them that is!)

As it's a sportive they provide feed stations.... but you cannot guarantee that what's provided will suit your stomach.
Personally I would carry at least a cereal bar and a packet of Jelly Babies.

Don't forget that hydration is even more important than nutrition.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
If you fancy a "warm up" event, there is a 60 mile (100k) Audax ride called the Dorset Coastlet on Sunday 10th April which starts in Wareham - it should have plenty of hills! For Audax rides you're given a route sheet to follow (the route isn't marked) and are given a card to have stamped at controls (which usually provide tea/cake/snacks for donations) to prove you're ridden the route.

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

When you come to do the longer rides Make sure you give yourself plenty of recovery time. This doesnt mean not riding, a short easy ride the next day at a gentle pace will help with recovery and keep your legs "Fluid" hence the term recovery ride. :rolleyes:

OK thanks. I normally don't ride at all after I've had a tough ride, I assumed I needed the day off. I'll try recovery rides. Thanks for the advice. RuthieB

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

Nutrition (for the event):
Lots of carbs the night before. Pasta is good, but not so much as you feel bloated the day before.
Substantial breakfast of "slow burn" foods - oats (as in muesli or porridge) are supposed to better than wheat based cereals. Avoid fry-ups.
30 to 15 minutes before start - banana (assuming you like them that is!)

As it's a sportive they provide feed stations.... but you cannot guarantee that what's provided will suit your stomach.
Personally I would carry at least a cereal bar and a packet of Jelly Babies.

Don't forget that hydration is even more important than nutrition.

Thanks PpPete. I hate bananas but I force one down before the start of extra long rides. I'm hoping to learn to love them! Yes porridge for breakfast, I can do that and pasta the night before. I might try to eat a small amount on the way round - perhaps bananas (yuk). Thanks RuthieB

OP
OP
R

RUTHIEBAV

If you fancy a "warm up" event, there is a 60 mile (100k) Audax ride called the Dorset Coastlet on Sunday 10th April which starts in Wareham - it should have plenty of hills! For Audax rides you're given a route sheet to follow (the route isn't marked) and are given a card to have stamped at controls (which usually provide tea/cake/snacks for donations) to prove you're ridden the route.

Thanks Baggy. I have never ridden an Audax ride but this sounds like good preparation for us and I've wondered what they are like. Really appreciate your posts. I've asked my husband and he's up for it so its just down to finding a babysitter! Thanks RuthieB

Top Bottom