Hand and leg bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Steering must be a challenge.. And how do you stop? :eek: quickly change to the bars? Eeep!

byegad

Legendary Member
This idea comes around every few years.

It doesn't give an advantage over conventional power trains because:-
1. A fit cyclist can run his lung capacity at 100% using just leg power, with ease. Sprinters run into oxygen debt very quickly!. So using arm muscles as well simply overload the lungs faster.
2. The double drive train adds weight.
3. Control in traffic is dangerously less than you'd want.

The same inventor probably has a perpetual motion machine on the drawing board as well as a dehydrated water scheme.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
This idea comes around every few years.

It doesn't give an advantage over conventional power trains because:-
1. A fit cyclist can run his lung capacity at 100% using just leg power, with ease. Sprinters run into oxygen debt very quickly!. So using arm muscles as well simply overload the lungs faster.
2. The double drive train adds weight.
3. Control in traffic is dangerously less than you'd want.

The same inventor probably has a perpetual motion machine on the drawing board as well as a dehydrated water scheme.

Must be the stuff we had earlier this year in the drought, and it's been re-hydrated recently.

byegad

Legendary Member
Yes, coincidently I sell dehydrated water tablets. Add eight pints of water and you get a whole gallon!

I'm working on a metric version where you add 1kg of water and get 1 litre. We are having trouble with that one so it'll cost more when I bring it out!

Next on the drawing board is a square wheel to stop you rolling back on hills. :dance::banghead:

rvw

Guru
In another thread I posted about a friend of a friend: he advertised a kit to make a wooden recorder (musical instrument) but in instalments. The first instalment was the bore (the column of the air up the middle) and the fingerholes (erm... not with any wood attached, just the air again.) Cost was $10 US.

The really sad thing is that he actually got some buyers...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Hmmmm not sure if this is real or some elaborate German joke...
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/07/bi...-handlebars-exercises-all-your-limbs-at-once/
Perhaps someone should ask them to make a recumbent trike with the same drive mech. so our expert Sheffield(ish) recumbanaught of this parish, who is apparently recovering, can exercise all at once rather than hand biking and normal recumbanteering on alternate days...

B.
I wonder what the timing options are between hand and foot cranks?
Would be interesting if it varied through walk, trot, canter and gallop.^_^

Top Bottom