Hand of God rematch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My daughter has just sent me this press release - it still rankles a little after all this time!!

Hand of God Returns

Today, Friday 7th September, it is announced that on 14th October 2007, Villa Park will play host to the re-match of one of the most talked about games in World Cup history. England vs. Argentina and the teams of ’86.

The two sides from the 1986 World Cup will line up against each other once again marking the 21st Anniversary of the infamous “Hand of God” match in what is set to be an explosive re-match. With Maradona and the rest of the Argentinean team out to prove that there’s no luck needed it will give the England players a chance to avenge their crushing defeat of ’86.

In a game which saw Diego Maradona score two of the most watched and talked about goals ever, passions still run very high among both sets of players. For the Argentineans, the eventual winners, it’s a chance to show, once again why they went on to be crowned World champions and for England it’s a chance, of course, to get one over on their adversaries and to ensure that Maradona keeps his hands to himself!

For England legends such as Reid, Robson and Wilkins it’s a chance to even the score and to do it in front of a packed crowd here in England.

Peter Reid has said “It’s one of those games that’s talked about so much and meant so much that it’s impossible to forget how devastating it was to lose and to lose to one absolutely amazing goal but also to one which was, let’s say, a little dubious! This is our chance to show what we can do and get a little bit of revenge. They’ve said they’re coming to play and that’s fine by us, we’re going out to win – no question.”

Maradona has said “It’s a game I still treasure to this day. For the rest of the team and I it was very special and was a great victory on the way to winning the World Cup. Everyone talks about the “hand of God” from this match, it was a bit of mischief, the goalkeeper had the advantage of grabbing with his hands. It was too high for me and I stuck out my fist. After the goal I was waiting for my team-mates to embrace me and no one came. I told them, come hug me or the referee isn't going to allow it. This time we will come to England there will be no mischief, only great goals. For us this is very serious, we are coming to win.”

stevenb

Will be interesting to watch. xx(

QuickDraw

rich p said:
I realise I have just set myself up as a sitting target for all the Scots on this forum:sad:

I'm trying to show some restraint but can any of you explain why that particular incident annoys you all so much?

I can understand well the frustration of someone beaking the rules and going unpunished and profiting with a goal (see Mikoluinas Scotland v Lithuania) but I really can't understand why you're still so bitter about it 21 years later. People cheat in football all the time, sometimes the referee misses it and sometimes it leads to goals so what makes this particular incident unique?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
QuickDraw said:
I'm trying to show some restraint but can any of you explain why that particular incident annoys you all so much?

I can understand well the frustration of someone beaking the rules and going unpunished and profiting with a goal (see Mikoluinas Scotland v Lithuania) but I really can't understand why you're still so bitter about it 21 years later. People cheat in football all the time, sometimes the referee misses it and sometimes it leads to goals so what makes this particular incident unique?

I actually said, 'it still rankles a little' - hardly 'bitter'

Because it cost us a place in the, what, semi-finals?
Because it wasn't gamesmanship, it was a full blown, 100% deliberate cheat.
Because the there was such utter delight at having stitched us up.

I had the perfect headline for the 1998 World Cup (the match when Beckham was sent off, remember?). Beaten By The Band Of Hod. But we lost. Again.
Bitter? Nah. But I do hope Shilton decks him.

QuickDraw

rich p said:
I actually said, 'it still rankles a little' - hardly 'bitter'

Of course, sorry. When I said "you" I didn't mean to refer to you in particular more the English people in general, some of whom do still seem very bitter about the whole thing. For example Chuffy thinks Peter Shilton should assault him and they're staging a rematch to get some revenge because the defeat hurt so much. Maybe this game will help bring a bit of closure because now that he's 30 stone you shouldn't have much difficulty this time around.

QuickDraw

Chuffy said:
Because it cost us a place in the, what, semi-finals?
Because it wasn't gamesmanship, it was a full blown, 100% deliberate cheat.
Because the there was such utter delight at having stitched us up.

It may have cost you a place semis in the who knows what would have happened if Argentina hadn't scored then. It cost you a place in the semis as much Peter Reid not doing him on the halfway line before the 2nd.

It was deliberate but so is tripping someone up who's about to score, it was only a handball.

Utter delight at beating England? Shock horror. Surely you're used to that by now. Do you want Shilton to punch that Norwegian commentator from the night Norway, "gave your boys one hell of a beating"?

Your reasons are all very well and at the time I'd have felt exactly the same, the bit I don't understand is why this particular incident has managed to live on for 21 years.

Top Bottom