Hand wash only - really?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MajorMantra

I just got a couple of dhb Earnley jerseys from Wiggle and was surprised to discover that the washing instructions stipulate doing it by hand only. Can this really be necessary?

I would have thought that one of the delicate/cold settings on the washing machine would be ok, can someone confirm this? Would one of those bags designed for delicate ladies' undies be wise?

Cheers,
Matthew

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Unless it was bloody expensive I'd just do it on a cool wash and if it only lasts 2 years, so be it.

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

rich p said:
Unless it was bloody expensive I'd just do it on a cool wash and if it only lasts 2 years, so be it.

I think that's the approach I'll take. At £13 a pop I can probably afford to wear them out. Just looking for reassurance...

Matthew

Fiona N

Veteran
What's the big deal with handwash?
Just run a bowl of hand-hot water, dump a meagre capful of Aerial or whatever liquid in it, shove jerseys in. Swish about a bit then leave for 5 - 10 mins unless there are dirty marks - soap these and rub briefly. Wring. Drain bowl. Refill with clean water - cold will do. Swish jerseys, wringe, chuck in washing machine for brief spin.Take out and hang to dry same as if they'd been though the coloureds cycle.
Takes longer to type than to do :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
whack it on a cold delicate, with no other clothes in the machine for it to get tangled up in. it'll be fine.

i don't like hand washing cycle tops, as i never really feel like its got it clean when i've sweated in it for a couple of hours

OP
OP
MajorMantra

MajorMantra

Thanks all.:blush:

Matthew

redjedi

Über Member
fossyant said:
40c or 30c with non-bio - you'll be fine

What do you use if you can't use non-bio?

I've recently discovered I may be allergic to it, so I'm just using normal liquid.

Is there a Non-Non-Bio???

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Soap flakes maybe - or any brand really. We have non-bio only 'cos my wife's skin doesn't like it and we also have youngsters.

Tyr Fairy ?

It is just laziness by manufacturers.

It is easier to place a "hand Wash only" label than do the research as to whether machine washing is ok.

As to the non-bio.... some Bio powders have enzymes that can strip the waterproofing or the likes from clothing.

redjedi

Über Member
Cunobelin said:
As to the non-bio.... some Bio powders have enzymes that can strip the waterproofing or the likes from clothing.

If that's the main reason for using non bio, I'll just stick with my regular stuff.

I don't really wear waterproof clothes anyway.

peanut

Fiona N said:
What's the big deal with handwash?
Just run a bowl of hand-hot water, dump a meagre capful of Aerial or whatever liquid in it, shove jerseys in. Swish about a bit then leave for 5 - 10 mins unless there are dirty marks - soap these and rub briefly. Wring. Drain bowl. Refill with clean water - cold will do. Swish jerseys, wringe, chuck in washing machine for brief spin.Take out and hang to dry same as if they'd been though the coloureds cycle.
Takes longer to type than to do :angry:

marvelous:biggrin: if I send you my jerseys could you show me how to do it ?:smile:

Top Bottom