Hand/wrist pain: Is it the handlebars?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mburton1993

Über Member
This is my bike:
IMG_20230604_132854.jpg

I'm going around Wales on it in the summer and so have been filing up the pannier and cycling to Chester and back (100ish miles) these last few weekends to get a feel for it (and because it's nice out).

I've followed this bike set up guide I saw on Cyclechat which has helped reduce most discomfort except for hand/wrist pain and numbness.

The gloves I use are these, the handle bars are Profile Design Air Wing aluminum, they have BBB foam grips wrapped in handlebar tape. Tyres are 28s Vittora Rubino Pro 3s.

Is it the handlebars? Would drop downs be better?

Attachments

• bike-set-up-2017a (1).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 7

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you moving your hands round enough.

All uphill

Still rolling along
The first thing that jumps out at me is the apparent backward tilt of your saddle. Is that in an attempt to unload your hands/ wrists?

The second thing is the apparent big difference in reach from the tops to the end of the bars. I wonder if one of those positions must be too close or too far.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Drops wouldn't be better in the drops, but you'd have better levers to hold - but that will be expensive - new bars, cables and 'brifters'.

Too much padding - i.e. just use some decent bar tape and no additional padding.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
The first thing that jumps out at me is the apparent backward tilt of your saddle. Is that in an attempt to unload your hands/ wrists?

The second thing is the apparent big difference in reach from the tops to the end of the bars. I wonder if one of those positions must be too close or too far.

Yes the seat tilt was for that but not long after that picture is was tilted back forward a bit as back pain was starting up.

It used to have 120mm stem and it was much worse then, it's now 60 or 70mm that has helped a bit.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Yes the seat tilt was for that but not long after that picture is was tilted back forward a bit as back pain was starting up.

It used to have 120mm stem and it was much worse then, it's now 60 or 70mm that has helped a bit.

Ah, it helps to know that.

OP
OP
Mburton1993

Mburton1993

Über Member
Drops wouldn't be better in the drops, but you'd have better levers to hold - but that will be expensive - new bars, cables and 'brifters'.

Too much padding - i.e. just use some decent bar tape and no additional padding.

It's the price of switching to drops that has been putting me off, the shifters in particularly, 2x8 Claris's even used are alot.

Less padding? Wouldn't more shock absorption be better?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Can your raise the bars a bit and see if that helps ?

Top Bottom