Handle bars and stem!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Yes that’s correct, but if you keep everything else constant, changing the stem length will have an effect, however most people realise it, and whether consciously or sub consciously, adjust their position ( which is the key ) to account for it / mitigate it.

It’s an aero bike, they tend to be twitchy ( relative to a more conventional road bike, of similar size and general geometry) by design / because of the relative slight geometry differences, and tube shape and construction.

As I said, geometry differences will make more of a difference in handling than 1-2cm of stem length. My bike with the 80mm stem was the most stable handling bike I had. Most smaller framed and WSD bikes come with shorter stems because they are generally for physically smaller people. It can't affect the handling too much because there aren't hordes of females and generally short people complaining the handling of their bikes is too twitchy. I know several female and short riders (I fall into both categories), none of us have issues with our bikes with stems in the 80-100mm range.

iluvmybike

Über Member
As I said, geometry differences will make more of a difference in handling than 1-2cm of stem length. My bike with the 80mm stem was the most stable handling bike I had. Most smaller framed and WSD bikes come with shorter stems because they are generally for physically smaller people. It can't affect the handling too much because there aren't hordes of females and generally short people complaining the handling of their bikes is too twitchy. I know several female and short riders (I fall into both categories), none of us have issues with our bikes with stems in the 80-100mm range.
All of my bikes have 90mm stems and have ridden these for years without any issues

OP
OP
LibraRider

LibraRider

The bars are ITM Elle in size 38/40cm - little used as they were too narrow for me ( I also have the same in 40/42 for sale). The clamp size is 25.8. Ignore the 'stripey' bits in the photo as that is just where I took off the bar tape - I'll clean that off before sending. I also have a 90mm stem that I used with them - ITM carbon wrap - this will fit the std ahead type steerer (1 1/8th"). The stem can be flipped over if required. You can have both for £15 plus P&P
Yes please! I’ll take them both! Message me and we can sort out the details? :smile:

thank you!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I definitely notice a difference in twitchiness between the 90mm and 60mm stems I've used on my mtb, and between a 130mm/90mm stem on road bike. I assumed this was because the longer stem placed more of my body weight on the front wheel, making the steering feel heavier/slower. Lowering the bar height seems to have the same effect so it's not just about the lever length or geometry of the stem.

What do you think @Yellow Saddle - more nonsense or a possible explanation? Genuinely interested in this as I've spent ages faffing around with bar/stem setup on both road and off-road bikes.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
When I swapped the100mm stem that my Raleigh Royal came with, for a 80mm one the steering did feel a little "quicker". Not twitchy exactly, but you could tell that something had been changed.
iI you think about it, for a given amount of linear motion measured at the bar and, the longer the stem is, the less angular motion is the result.

Top Bottom