Handlebar Bag for Road Bike - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Crankarm said:
. Alternatively fit a flat bar with bar ends then no problems fitting a bra bag :biggrin:.

Being a chap I won't be needing a bra bag.

I've got an old-style racer with shifters on the down-tube so a bar bag won't be a problem. Slightly concerned that a big bar bag will affect the handling. Looking at a bar-bag and saddle-bag combo. The Carradice C saddlebag looks great. At the moment I'm thinking of this combo:

http://www.bournesports.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=2689

http://www.bournesports.com/scripts/prodview.asp?idProduct=2690

Will check them both out and see if it's worth upgrading to a Carradice.

Hi have an Avenir bar bag got it off ebay new for £18.00 very waterproof.

really plzed with it.

jay clock

Massive member
Most of those mentioned are 6 litres. That is the size of six cartons of OJ. HUGE

I have Vaude that I got in Holland - hard to find in the UK but the Edinburgh Cycles one here http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...6&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003119c003125 is the same model. Not cheap, but superb quality and fits nicely between the cables on a road bike with STI levers.

It has a rain cover but in NZ even that let some through in an all day torrent. Put passport and wallet in a plastic bag.

willem

Über Member
Why not use a Caradice saddle bag? That will affect the bike's handling far less than a bar bag.
Willem

OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Cheers for the link to the adventure bar bag. I'll have a look at that. £40 isn't too expensive for a decent bag.

I might go down the Carradice saddle bag route but need to have a look at them first. They are pretty with the proper fitting.

BTW, does anyone know is I can add a pannier rack by using there:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products...oogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

I'm not too sure what they do but I saw a racing bike on the way home tonight that didn't have eyelets but somehow had a rack attached. If this is what I need to do this it would solve my all the problems in my life.

Cheers,

James.

ch3

Actually I've been wondering the same, how can I add extra storage at the front when my fork doesnt take any rack for front panniers.
But these days I am in Berlin and I have noticed some of the bikes have a rack which mounts on the front wheel axle and then it attaches somewhere below the bars, so I was wondering if I can fit something like that as well.
If I see them again, I'll take a photo to make it a little clearer.

+1 for a saddlebag, Carradice or otherwise, over a bar bag if you have to choose just one piece of luggage. weight distribution is better, there is no impact on steering and you do not get that twisty handlebar flopping off toone side thing when you stop. When I answered the post before I took the reference to quick release to mean a carradice SQR) however having re-read this is less clear and in any case there are other ways of fitting a saddlebag

If you still go for a barbag watch out for the handlebar size: I priced matched my local Evans to get the Fusion for £20, then a couple of days later I bought a new bike, but it has oversize bars so the bracket does not fit:blush:.

jay clock

Massive member
I would not be without my little bar bag (see above) for easy access to camera, phone, snacks and above all being able to constantly monitor the map. And from a style point of view I can't bear Carradice, and even less the visual look of a saddlebag. Shallow, me? Yes!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
+1 on the Altura bar bag with the Rixen and Kaul Klickfix (though if you have 31.8mm oversize bars you will have to buy adaptors as an extra like I did)

It fitted my bike with its Shimano shifters without issue (It's a large bike with large/wide drop bars) the cables just deflect out of the way and shifting is unaffected by its presence. On narrower bars it could well foul the front shifter.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I have a Carradice bar bag with Klickfix, which is great for adding space when my panniers are full of stuff, and has a space for the map on top, and easy access to stuff as I ride. But for day rides, I tend to use just one pannier and my jersey pockets, so I'd wonder about the saddlebag as a better idea too as a single piece of luggage. Mind you, a QR barbag might be easier to carry off the bike, at lunch stops etc...

With regard to fitting a rack, I think it can nearly always be done, if you try hard enough - you may need to use p-clips (easily obtainable at hardware shops) to 'bodge' something. You'd probably not want to load such a rack as heavily as you would a 'properly' fitted one, but it would do for lighter loads (IE, not camping). My experience of friends with engineering talent tells me that anything is possible, with a bit of thought and imagination.

BTW, if you do use p-clips, a little shim of old inner tube prevents scratching your seat stays.

Top Bottom