Handlebar Bag for Road Bike - recommendations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GatleyJim

Über Member
Hello,

I will be taking my road bike on a mini tour in August (three days from Carlisle to Newcastle) and I need some advice on which handlebar bag to buy.

I will need some kind of a bag fitted to as carrying my rucksack on my back while commuting makes me really sweaty and kind of makes my breathable clothes pointless. I tried attaching one of those quick release clamps to the seatpost with the intention of adding a proper pannier bag but it looked ridiculous and not particularly sturdy.

So I have been looking into buying a handlebar bag instead. It only needs to be big enough for day touring as we will be staying at Youth Hostels en route.

After a quick look on Ebay, I have found the following:

Bag 1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Handlebar-Bag...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1696|293:1|294:50

Bag 2

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OuterEdge-Han...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1696|293:1|294:50

Bag 3

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVENIR-WATERP...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1696|293:1|294:50

Bag 4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canyon-Presti...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|293:1|294:50

Bag 5

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Avenir-Sporti...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|293:1|294:50

Bag 6

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AVENIR-WATERP...trkparms=65:12|66:2|39:1|72:1688|293:1|294:50

Can anybody recommend these or another?

Cheers,

Jim.

Alves

I would make the point that the fixing bracket to the bars is arguably the most important part of the bar bag.
It needs to be solid and totally reliable. I have seen a cheap one for sale in Lidl or Aldi which was held on by velcro and might (prob not) do for shopping trips but wouldn't last or be safe for a tour.
I don't think you can see the brackets in these examples so I'd say don't buy them.
Totally reliable but more expensive brands are Carradice, Vaude or Orlieb. You'll get Rixen Kaul or similar quality brackets and they'll be safe (won't fall off into your front wheel) and last.
Also bigger isn't always better as the large ones can affect handling or interfere with your lights and cables.
Personally, I'd look before I bought or get a recommendation from someone who uses one (mine would be Carradice for durability and quirky retro canvas).

OP
OP
G

GatleyJim

Über Member
Alves said:
I would make the point that the fixing bracket to the bars is arguably the most important part of the bar bag.
It needs to be solid and totally reliable. I have seen a cheap one for sale in Lidl or Aldi which was held on by velcro and might (prob not) do for shopping trips but wouldn't last or be safe for a tour.
I don't think you can see the brackets in these examples so I'd say don't buy them.
Totally reliable but more expensive brands are Carradice, Vaude or Orlieb. You'll get Rixen Kaul or similar quality brackets and they'll be safe (won't fall off into your front wheel) and last.
Also bigger isn't always better as the large ones can affect handling or interfere with your lights and cables.
Personally, I'd look before I bought or get a recommendation from someone who uses one (mine would be Carradice for durability and quirky retro canvas).

Cheers for the reply Alves.

I think you're right about looking at them first and paying extra for a quality bag. I will be using it for commuting every day for many years to come so it is worth spending the money and getting something good.

Will search for the brands you recommend and find a store where I can go and check them out.

Jim

What shifters are you using?

Some STI shifters make fitting bar bags difficult, as the horizontal exit from the changer interferes with the bag, or if you force the bag into the space, it can disrupt the cable run and affect.

I would suggest that you need to ask advice from your LBS or similar so that you know it will work.

Looking at bag size is not a reliable way as the final fitting will depend upon how the full setup including the bracket relate to the available space. A bag that fits perfectly may be unuseable when pushed forward by th ebracket!

adrianlondon

I have an Altura bar bag (on my "trekking" bike). It's fantastic quality, as is the quick-release bracket it attaches to. However, the opening faces away from me, so if I want to stop cycling and just get something out, such as my camera, it's complex.

I've seen that some of the newer models have the opening facing you (i.e. on the same side as the bracket) so that it opens up and away from you. Easier to get things out without getting off the bike. I'm thinking of replacing mine for just that reason.

coopman

the one i got from halfords is actually very good, had it quite a few years and is not showing any signs of wear, rather handy detachable bottle holder on side and map case for top, and a bit for phone on side.
There is pockets inside and a clip for keys, and elastic bits inside which are very handy for holding cereal bars.
At 24 quid is a real bargain.
Only slight negative i would say is that it leaked a bit of rain in the zippers once, but it was raining all day!
I have never had any others so cant compare, but like I say its standing up well.

+1 for Altura, I have a Fusion bar bag, or rather had long story involving a taxi, waterproof good Rixen and Kaul fitting and easy to open as it had the hinge of the lid at the front.

My only complaint is that the hooks fore the shoulder straps are very low and so if you are not careful when you pick it up to carry it pivots upside down and dumps all your stuff on the floor...or maybe I'm just a klutz:blush:

adrianlondon

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Another thing to watch with cheaper bags is that they can be floppy, so the bag droops from its mountings and flaps about when you turn the steering. (Does this remind you of something?)

The bigger the bag, the harder it is to stop it drooping, and the stiffer the frame or shaping has to be.

Small and pert may be preferable to big and floppy.

No, that came out all wrong...

simon_brooke

Strong recommendation for Carradice Super C. Not cheap but excellent quality. The plastic T-bar which clips on the bottom to attach lights to is a real plus.

As other have said, Shimano STI levers which clutter the front of the bar area with random cables make bar bags very much harder to fit.

sadjack

+1 for Carradice.

I have the super c bar bag and rear panniers. I also use the camper longflap saddle bag with a quick release clamp on the seatpost.

As has been said, they are not cheap, but I know people who have had their Carradice kit for many years. I think thats the best advert for me!

ch3

I bought the Altura Dryline bag recently which I first used yesterday for a 30km ride. In general I am very happy with it as it is very convenient to have some storage right in front of you. The quality looks good, but I am not sure yet how dry will stay in a heavy rain.
My only compain is the map plastic envelope. It has a nice attatchment at the front, but not at the back. That means riding downhill or with a strong wind the map starts flapping around and gets a little bit annoying. I need to find a way to stop that happening. Maybe with some clips.

Crankarm

Guru
To the OP re bar bag possibly fouling the STI units if you have them. I would measure what width handle bars you have if you have drop bars. If you haven't already go for the widest typically 44cm which will obviously give you more room for STI levers when using a bar bag. Alternatively fit a flat bar with bar ends then no problems fitting a bra bag :wacko:.

Go for 1) Vaude then 2) Ortlieb both very good quality, extremely durable and 100% waterproof. You get what you pay for. Bike luggage is no different.

Top Bottom