Handlebar bag & saddlebag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fierce

I've never used a handlebar bag, but am considering using one (as well as a largish saddlebag) for some light touring. I'll be using an MTB with slicks. Just how much weight can a handlebar bag take before it affects the handling of the bike? Thanks for any advice.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
fierce said:
I've never used a handlebar bag, but am considering using one (as well as a largish saddlebag) for some light touring. I'll be using an MTB with slicks. Just how much weight can a handlebar bag take before it affects the handling of the bike? Thanks for any advice.

I'm not sure that there's a definitive answer to your question. You could take your lead from the behaviour of others who tend to keep their valuables and lightweight items including snacks in the bar bag.

With a suitably large saddlebaq - assuming that you are using B&B and hostels/hotels you shouldn't need to overload the bar bag.

Have you looked at the carradice web site www.carradice.co.uk and spa cycles at www.spacycles.co.uk ? Between the two you should be able to find suitable baggage.

OP
OP
F

fierce

Thanks. I've settled on a camper longflap saddlebag from Carradice, but haven't chosen a handlebar bag. Having just looked at a few touring websites and their packing list suggestions, I realise how much I could omit, so your comments about what to pack in the handlebar bag are sound - I think I can limit it to money, passport, camera, and a snack. Again, thanks.

vernon said:
I'm not sure that there's a definitive answer to your question. You could take your lead from the behaviour of others who tend to keep their valuables and lightweight items including snacks in the bar bag.

With a suitably large saddlebaq - assuming that you are using B&B and hostels/hotels you shouldn't need to overload the bar bag.

Have you looked at the carradice web site www.carradice.co.uk and spa cycles at www.spacycles.co.uk ? Between the two you should be able to find suitable baggage.

Bigtallfatbloke

I dont think it is the handling so much as the maximum weight before the click fix gizmo snaps. I load mine up with all sorts of stuff and always tie it on as well as click it on just in case. I havent noticed any huge handling issues.

Top Bottom