Handlebar bag?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I usually cycle with a compact camera in a waist bag but sometimes I want to take a Digital SLR out with me and that means wearing a rucksack. Can anybody recommend a handlebar bag that will take (and give reasonable protection to) a DSLR and a spare lens? It also needs to be interchangeable between bikes with standard and 31.8mm bars.

rowan 46

Über Member
something like this is the cheapest http://www.ebay.co.u...652848860796506
you may want to put some foam inside

jamin100

Guru
would you not be better off with a small dslr bag?
Something like the lowepro slingshot 100aw?
Obviously this will depend on what camera you have and what lens you want to put on it. I personally wouldn't want my D90 and 17-50 f2.8 hanging on my handlebars

rowan 46

Über Member
I think a handlebar bag is a good idea, If you bike goes down so are you and a fall onto a backpack or camera bag is going to hurt you and it a lot more than if it was attached to the bike. most of the handlebar bags also have a carry strap for use off the bike

PpPete

Legendary Member
I bought a batch of cheap ones that are not dissimilar in appearance to that ebay one.
The bracketry is pretty crap, but can be modified to take R&K back plate.
You can buy R&K handlebar fittings for both standard and O/S

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
My Carradice Super C bar bag takes a DSLR easily. If you buy extra R&K fittings it's very easy to move between bikes. Also comes with a nice detachable shoulder strap.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Thanks for all the helpful replies - there's clearly a wide price range. Looks like one bag and 2 fittings is the way to go. I'm kind of tempted by the Ortleib - very satisfied with their saddle bags. Thanks again!

Thanks for all the helpful replies - there's clearly a wide price range. Looks like one bag and 2 fittings is the way to go. I'm kind of tempted by the Ortleib - very satisfied with their saddle bags. Thanks again!

Ortleib do an internal foam insert for extra camera protection I believe.

OP
OP
al-fresco

al-fresco

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Mrs Fresco has kindly agreed to fund a medium sized Ortleib Ultimate 5 Plus for Christmas and I've ordered the special camera carrying insert to go in it.

Top Bottom