Handlebar bags and STI query?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gatters

I want to start using a handlebar bag on my bike, this bike has got shimano rsx STI levers and the gear cables exit the sides of the levers and so they are routed through the space that the bag will take up!
so I'm thinking that I would have to buy STI levers (3x8) that have the both gear and brake cables under the handlebar tape...maybe Claris ST-2403 ?

any wisdom on this?

MikeW-71

Veteran
You'd need to go to 105 to get both cables under the bar tape. Claris, Sora and Tiagra are all routed the same as what you have.

I gave up on using a decent size bar bag on my CX for exactly the same reason.

robgul

Legendary Member
Depending on the shape (depth f-b and width) of your bars it may be possible to use the Rixen & Kaul Klikfix extender and push the bag far enough forward for the cables to slip behind the bag.

Rob

MikeW-71

Veteran
105 8 speed are the same as what I have now Mike aren't they?
I don't know how long ago it was that 105 was 8 speed, but 5700 is 10 speed and 5800 is 11. Would cost way more than it's worth.

Have you considered just a rack top bag rather than the single pannier?

OP
OP
Gatters

Gatters

I don't know how long ago it was that 105 was 8 speed, but 5700 is 10 speed and 5800 is 11. Would cost way more than it's worth.

Have you considered just a rack top bag rather than the single pannier?
so Mike are you sure the Claris 8 speed hasnt got all cabling under the bar tape?...is this a definite?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Another alternative is to use Campag 10 speed ergo shifters which have almost exactly the same pull of cable per click as Shimano's 8 speed. Just use the derallleur limit screws to lock out the last two 'clicks'.
More on this (and the way to make Campag 10 speed shifters work with Shimano 9 speed systems) is here.

Ootini

I want to start using a handlebar bag on my bike, this bike has got shimano rsx STI levers and the gear cables exit the sides of the levers and so they are routed through the space that the bag will take up!
so I'm thinking that I would have to buy STI levers (3x8) that have the both gear and brake cables under the handlebar tape...maybe Claris ST-2403 ?

any wisdom on this?

What kind of bag are you planning on using? One of the big clip on jobbies like Topeak etc? You may have more luck using a small dry bag either strapped directly to the bars or using a harness like the Alpkit Kanga, WildCat Lion or Apidura harness.

Top Bottom