Handlebar height on my Giant

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

orbital

Hi everyone,

I bought my first ever road bike a few weeks back (Giant FCR 4). Which is a joy to ride apart from one thing. The handle bars need to be a tad higher but the headset is a threadless one and all the spacers are already underneath. Does this mean the only way of heightening the bars is to get an adjustable stem like this one:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Ritchey_Adjustable_Road_Stem/5360033323/

Sorry if it's a daft question, bit of a newbie to all this threadless malarkey!

Cheers

Dave

Bigtwin

Nup. Fixed stems come in different degrees of both rise and reach.

Visit LBS and lean on counter looking at brochure.

OP
OP
orbital

orbital

I just thought that an adjustable stem like that would give me the chance to fiddle with different heights etc.

Cheers

Dave

Bigtwin

orbital said:
I just thought that an adjustable stem like that would give me the chance to fiddle with different heights etc.

Cheers

Dave

Oh yes, it will indeed to a degree (did you see what I did there?).

If cash is feely available, you can get to a position you like and buy a stem (it won't do reach beyond natural arc of course), or just stay with it if you don't mind the weight and, frankly speaking here, Fred-factor.

Bigtwin

orbital said:
Come on then, enlighten me?

Cheers

Dave

Personally, I wouldn't bat a laughter-chord, but those stems are a bit....well...."shopper". As a long-term proposition you understand, we can all see their virtue as a sizing utility.

Actually only possibly - a decent LBS should be able to look at you on your current set-up and make a pretty sound prediction of what you need.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Have you flipped the stem? it might be inverted so flipping will give it a rise...

and you could fit riser bars. i know its not really the done thing, but it works on mtbs very well and the price a easton ea30 or 50 bar its worth trying.. although they be a tad wide and need cutting down.

as for changing stems, scour ebay and small ads, put a WTD on here, as there are a plethora of cheap readily available stems out there for you to try. i've got about 6 spare in may garage, and i be t money there are others on here who have more. worth seeing if you can borrow one to try before you buy a new one

Ant

Ok. I'm going to ask the question that seems obvious to me, but hasn't been asked yet?

How do you know the handlebars are too low? If it is, as you said, your first road bike then they will certainly feel lower that you're used to. If you simply raise them up to the point where it feels like it did on your non road bike then it sort of defeats the idea of a road bike somewhat.

How low/high are they in relation to the saddle?

As Ant says- if you have spacers under the stem and the bars are too low then either you have the wrong size bike or the seat is set too high. Have a look at the Tour on the telly and see how far the leg extends at the bottom of the pedal cycle - it shouldn't straighten out completely.

OP
OP
orbital

orbital

I went through the whole process of measuring my inside leg/reach etc to make sure the bike was the right size and also trying them out. You can gauge quite a bit from a test ride, but after a week of riding for 2+ hours I noticed I was getting pins and needles in my hands. The saddle is in the right place as my leg is completely extended at the bottom of a rotation. I think probably and inch on the handlebar height and I'd be sorted.

I might just get one of the Ritchey adjustable stems (in my first post). Looking like Billy Bling has never really bothered me so I think it might be the easiest route.

Cheers

Dave

tandemman

It might just be me, but I never have my leg fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, I always have a slight bend, this would say to me that your saddle is a little too high,

OP
OP
orbital

orbital

tandemman said:
It might just be me, but I never have my leg fully extended at the bottom of the pedal stroke, I always have a slight bend, this would say to me that your saddle is a little too high,

Actually you might be right you know. I've just read this:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/article/technique-how-to-get-your-seat-height-right-14608

And it seems that the "leg completely extended" technique has no scientific basis at all :smile: Might start fiddling with my seat height first and see how it goes.

Cheers

Dave

Top Bottom