Handlebar rubber grip adhesive??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two-Wheels

I'm not sure if this is even a thing (based on my search) & if it is then I'm clearly using the wrong keywords.

I have a Trek FX2 hybrid. Have had this from new since about 2017 & until my last ride of 2022 the handlebars were solid.

Get to the first ride of 2023 after having to have stored the bike in the house since early December 2022 & the handlebar rubber grips are rotating. Very very very annoying when I'm attempting a climb of any sorts & just annoying in general throughout the ride itself.

I assumed they maybe had adhesive inside them (can you tell I'm no bike repair guy yet?) which had softened due to being stored inside (although usually it gets stored in the shed including during scorchio summers which kind of shoots that logic down).

Anyway I hop on Google & I'm finding results for drop bar tape & all sorts.

What am I actually supposed to be looking for? What I am looking to achieve is exactly what I had up until the end of last year - rubber grips that didn't move.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I’m maybe imagining this, but I’m sure I read that hair spray inside the grips works. :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
Ergo lock on grips, don't like round ones personally
Eg www.wiggle.co.uk/clarks-ergonomic-handlebar-grips-ce-212

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

I’m maybe imagining this, but I’m sure I read that hair spray inside the grips works. :laugh:

Just to report back, thank you very much for the suggestion. I thought you a bit mad when I read it but nope, sure enough it seemed to tick the box.
Even if I have to apply it every time, it's a cheap enough fix for it. I'm satisfied enough :smile:

You've got me there, what's this "hair" you're spraying?

I'd love to say what you on about

But sadly, I'm with you on that one. lol.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Alcohol hand gel works well too. It's a lube until it dries, then it's just sticky enough. I use it for grips and replacement drop bar brake hoods.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Interesting ones them last two there, especially the hand gel. I could open up my own shop with the amount I have left after the height of Covid.

Top Bottom