handlebar stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicom

hi,
i am new here and this is my first post, i am a new biker, just bought a hybrid Trek fx2 size 17, it was shorter than me ,so i raised the saddle more than 2 inches, now i suffer pain in my rest and palm although i wear good gloves, could anyone please help me find a handlebar stem that fits my bike and can rise the handle 2 or 3 inches up. thanks.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
hi,
i am new here and this is my first post, i am a new biker, just bought a hybrid Trek fx2 size 17, it was shorter than me ,so i raised the saddle more than 2 inches, now i suffer pain in my rest and palm although i wear good gloves, could anyone please help me find a handlebar stem that fits my bike and can rise the handle 2 or 3 inches up. thanks.
Can you post a pic of your current set up.

OP
OP
A

alicom

hi,

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (3).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (3).jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (2).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (2).jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM (1).jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 9
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-04 at 4.59.45 PM.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 9

Sharky

Guru
Alternatively, put the saddle back to the original height, then raise by just 1cm. Ride at this height until it feels OK, then try another cm. A change of 2" is quite a lot in one go and can put compensating pressure else where as you've found. Your body will adjust as it gets used to the new demands on hands and arms.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like your stack is at the max height. Just so you understand how a threadless steerer works here's a diagram:

I don't think you need the bars any higher. If you're putting too much weight on your hands try sliding the saddle forward on its rails so you're sitting a bit nearer the bars and more upright.
The saddle should be set so that when seated with the pedal at six o'clock your leg should be straight or thereabouts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alicom

thanks, i will try, but if anyone can help me buy handlebar stem that is compatible with my trek fx2 hybrid bike to raise the handle 2inches by posting a link of the item please, i will be greetful.
thank you.

Sharky

Guru
Before you start changing things, how new are you to biking? It maybe that you just need to take it a bit slowly to get used to cycling. My arms ache a lot after a break and always takes me a few weeks to get used to it again.

Also if you fit bar ends, it will give you more varied hand positions.

Google "high rise" stems. These should give a good increase in height but I do think you ought to give it a bit longer.

Good luck

OP
OP
A

alicom

Before you start changing things, how new are you to biking? It maybe that you just need to take it a bit slowly to get used to cycling. My arms ache a lot after a break and always takes me a few weeks to get used to it again.

Also if you fit bar ends, it will give you more varied hand positions.

Google "high rise" stems. These should give a good increase in height but I do think you ought to give it a bit longer.

Good luck
thank you.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Google Ergo bar ends. You can get 'copies' for £15 and up, or the pukka 'Ergon' (Model GP3 ) for £35. My wife has some £20 copies and they are very comfy.

How high is the saddle ? The saddle should be at least 4-6 inches up from the frame (seat post showing)

Another picture of where the saddle is, or better, a shot of the bike

OP
OP
A

alicom

Google Ergo bar ends. You can get 'copies' for £15 and up, or the pukka 'Ergon' (Model GP3 ) for £35. My wife has some £20 copies and they are very comfy.

How high is the saddle ? The saddle should be at least 4-6 inches up from the frame (seat post showing)

Another picture of where the saddle is, or better, a shot of the bike
thanks

Top Bottom