Handlebar tape/cloth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnymak

I've just finished wrapping my bars with cloth tape. I'm trying to keep period correct mid 70.s unfortunatly the bars are scraped ( see pic) I'm wanting to keep the look even and clean would it look out of period with finishing tape over the scratch or is there any other ideas

Attachments

• 20190108_084515.jpg
    20190108_084515.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 42

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Live with it? Looks like patina to me, perfectly acceptable on a 40yr old bike.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Finishing tape is a modern, ugly invention. The warp from top to bottom is period correct.
This is one of the posts that come along from time to time that I wish I could like multiple times.

I'm no bar wrapping expert only having done it 2-4 times but I don't see the logic of finishing near the stem with the addition of superfluous and aesthetically unpleasant tape, when doing it the other way is so easy and works as well if not better. I have heard arguments that the direction of tape lay is wrong but I haven't found this to be any different when using the modern foam/cork type tape we all use now. Maybe the people that do have problems with this just aren't wrapping it tidily and tight enough?

IMO bar tape that is just held in place by magic and bar end plugs is a thing of beauty and perfection.

Couldn't you have started where the scratches were and have covered them over? Is that old glue underneath or corrosion ? If it is glue then some white spirit might remove it.
I can see that the bars are satin finish so it would be difficult to flat the scratches out and try to restore that finish.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I finish tapes by the stem because if gaps open, it's usually on the tops. What matters IMO is the spin direction, not whether it's stem to end or end to stem.

If those are alloy bars, I'd not tape over that scratch because I'd want to keep an eye on whether it becomes a crack.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I do top to bottom, finishing with bar end plugs.

It just looks better that way. None of this 'finishing tape' nonsense.

Nibor

Bewildered
This is one of the posts that come along from time to time that I wish I could like multiple times.

I'm no bar wrapping expert only having done it 2-4 times but I don't see the logic of finishing near the stem with the addition of superfluous and aesthetically unpleasant tape, when doing it the other way is so easy and works as well if not better. I have heard arguments that the direction of tape lay is wrong but I haven't found this to be any different when using the modern foam/cork type tape we all use now. Maybe the people that do have problems with this just aren't wrapping it tidily and tight enough?

IMO bar tape that is just held in place by magic and bar end plugs is a thing of beauty and perfection.
I can't do that I use Bar end shifters

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

The bars are gb maes Grande bretagne and the gold part is a ferrule ideally wrapping the tape ( correctly ) from stem to bottom creates a smooth line at the top , however my OCD is kicking in and the scratches are just minor but I can't BUFF them out as it will ruin the gold gb ferrule so my only other option is cover it with something
I'm hating the thought of covering it with finishing tape but I can't think of any other methods that won't look to out of place
The tape is yet to be covered with shellac coffee brown
Thanks for replys

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

Should you not have started taping at the bottom and finished at the top with finishing tape?
You look to have taped the wrong way round.
Any more pics of your bike, from what I can see it looks a beauty.

Thanks il post pics once I've a few of the parts put back on as waiting on bb to be fitted .

Top Bottom