Handlebar tape/cloth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I can't do that I use Bar end shifters
Cloth tape with bar end shifters is fine, dunno about that thick padded stuff though (I carry my handlebar padding around with me in the palm of my gloves)

carpenter

Über Member
I have used cloth tape on handlebars for my Carlton corsa - painted the tape with cellulose acetate and used twine for finishing.
I think wrapping cloth tape with pvc finishing tape looks wrong, twine wrapping looks great (to me) more in keeping with the finish and if extended further up your bar could hide the blemishes.
will try to add photo of my attempt tomorrow.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tO8DcaOJzrA

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Don't be a pratt, it looks fine.

It's called patina and as others have said it looks great

OP
OP
Johnymak

Johnymak

I'm looking to stain the cloth tape a dark brown to match its saddle its currently light brown
Any advice on how to do this I've tried a shellac but it's not water resistant and fades after a while
Any advice

This is one of the posts that come along from time to time that I wish I could like multiple times.

I'm no bar wrapping expert only having done it 2-4 times but I don't see the logic of finishing near the stem with the addition of superfluous and aesthetically unpleasant tape, when doing it the other way is so easy and works as well if not better. I have heard arguments that the direction of tape lay is wrong but I haven't found this to be any different when using the modern foam/cork type tape we all use now. Maybe the people that do have problems with this just aren't wrapping it tidily and tight enough?

IMO bar tape that is just held in place by magic and bar end plugs is a thing of beauty and perfection.
Was the 2 to 4 times just tryng to do it once on your bike ? :whistle: I must have done that one evening just on one side ! :ohmy: I find that they are a bit stingy on the amount of tape they give you .

12boy

Guru
Shellac comes in clear, garnet and amber and is soluble only in alcohol. Rivendell bikes has pictures of how nice cloth tape looks after an amber or garnet coat and has article on how to finish the twine off neatly . When it gets worn just give it another coat. I keep my shellac brushes in a big jar of alcohol, pull one out for the job, wipe off the alcohol, apply the shellac and stick it back in the jar. I keep my shellac in another jar because it is easier to keep airtight than a can. Shellacked tape and twine lasta long time.

Shellac comes in clear, garnet and amber and is soluble only in alcohol. Rivendell bikes has pictures of how nice cloth tape looks after an amber or garnet coat and has article on how to finish the twine off neatly . When it gets worn just give it another coat. I keep my shellac brushes in a big jar of alcohol, pull one out for the job, wipe off the alcohol, apply the shellac and stick it back in the jar. I keep my shellac in another jar because it is easier to keep airtight than a can. Shellacked tape and twine lasta long time.
This sounds rather beautiful. Do you have a photo of your tape to share?
Also, what does it feel like? Slippery? Grippy? Thin? etc?

12boy

Guru
Here is an old one, a little worn. Shiny when first applied but dulls after a while. I only had clear shellac on this but Amber would have browned the red tape and garnet would have made it more like claret. This is regular cloth over cheap psuedo Cork tape to give a little padding. The shellac glued down the twining finish so it won't move around. The shellacked tape is smooth and hard when dry, pretty much water/sweat proof. Cotton bar tape once shellacked can last for years. If I weren't using moustache bars on this bike, I'd slop another coat on before using just because.

Attachments

• IMG_20190131_115023.jpg
    IMG_20190131_115023.jpg
    208.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190131_115007.jpg
    IMG_20190131_115007.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 34
Top Bottom