Handlebar tape - who makes the longest?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I often use Cinelli Cork ribbon but I find that the roll is not really long enough, perhaps because I'm a big chap and have wide handlebars.

Anyway, I stuggle along and make it fit.

The time is approaching for some new tape, and I can't face another struggle with short rolls of tape.

So, my question is: which brand makes the longest rolls of cork ribbon?

Has anyone ever measured them?

edit: I'd be happy to pay more for another 30cm!

numbnuts

Legendary Member
are you overlaping it too much

Fiona N

Veteran
Hard to be exact about the make but I usually throw away about 30 cm each time ;)

In fact, thinking it over, I'm pretty sure the last two lots have been Cinelli cork (red with gel underlayer) so how come I've got so much left if you're always short? My handlebars aren't that small (42cm) :biggrin: Do you stretch the tape as you go?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
There should be the right amount on each roll for one side of the bars. It can be tricky mastering tape binding but make sure the overlap on the tape is not more than a few mm. Im not sure about these new tapes, cork etc... horrible stuff. Im talking about my experience with proper cotton tape. It will come with practice.

mac1

Aggravating bore magnet
Spokesmann said:
It can be tricky mastering tape binding but make sure the overlap on the tape is not more than a few mm. Im not sure about these new tapes, cork etc... horrible stuff. Im talking about my experience with proper cotton tape. It will come with practice.

You don't say?

Am in the middle of taping the handlebar right now - just about to do the left side. I do need lots of tape mind as doing the right side took 3 attempts...
;)

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
mac1 said:
You don't say?

Am in the middle of taping the handlebar right now - just about to do the left side. I do need lots of tape mind as doing the right side took 3 attempts...
;)

Practice makes perfect! I have 8 Carltons to practice on!:tongue:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Spokesmann said:
fIm not sure about these new tapes, cork etc... horrible stuff. Im talking about my experience with proper cotton tape. It will come with practice.

Can you still get proper cotton tape? Where from?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
youngoldbloke said:
Can you still get proper cotton tape? Where from?
Most online retailers sell it.

I have a question about cotton tape, is it still gummed across the full width or just a centre strip? What I used to hate about the stuff was occassionally one edge would fray as you unwound it, with a strand of thread getting pulled away by the gum on the edge of the roll.

If someone can assure me that doesn't happen I would love to go back to cotton tape.

Top Bottom