Handlebar Tape

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

My Defy 1 has white handlebar tape that is never going to remain white. I'm considering changing the tape to black. Is this a simple enough job? Does the average LBS do it? I'll enquire anyway at the end of the week. I was just sitting here lonely in my Glasgow business hotel room thinking about my bike....:biggrin:

Cheers

Mike

Gert Lush

It's simple enough. You could do it yourself but if you want your LBS to do it, I bet it won't take much longer than 10mins or so.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes an lbs should do it. Mine charges a fiver plus the tape (which will be RRP, a bit more if I supply)

OP
OP
mikeloveshisrockhopper

mikeloveshisrockhopper

Thanks both. Sounds like a job for the LBS then. I'll make some enquiries. I'd never do a decent job myself so it's worth forking out 10 to 20 quid.

Mrs M

Guru
My Felt had white tape when I bought it, managed to keep it white :smile: with regular cleaning and clean gloves.
Only changed to black when it got torn (not by me) :angry:
I used to replace bar tape regularly myself as a kid but no risk taking this time with an expensive roll, so LBS did the job for me.

OP
OP
mikeloveshisrockhopper

mikeloveshisrockhopper

I have cleaned it a few times with muc off cleaner and it comes up OK. Black tape will be less hassle. I clean my bike after every ride but the handlebar tape seems like an unnecessary effort.

OP
OP
mikeloveshisrockhopper

mikeloveshisrockhopper

My Felt had white tape when I bought it, managed to keep it white :smile: with regular cleaning and clean gloves.
Only changed to black when it got torn (not by me) :angry:
I used to replace bar tape regularly myself as a kid but no risk taking this time with an expensive roll, so LBS did the job for me.

Out of curiosity, what do you use to clean it. A mate reckoned he just uses washing up liquid and warm water.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its really not that hard to do yourself. Loads of you tube guides, plus you can unwind a rewrap it if you've gone a bit wrong.
Start at the ends , leaving enough to tuck in with the end plug, and work towards the stem. Finish with insulation tape.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
To clean your bar tape use washing up liquid, warm water and a nail brush. Scrub in the same direction as the tape, you may want a tea towel nearby to stop all the splashes. It works great.

Last edited:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Not worth the hassle of doing it yourself, look at my thread called "Best LBS" . I had a Defy with white tape as well. Looks good when new but soon changes colour. It is now black .

Top Bottom