Handlebar width

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Does anybody know if Giant measure their handlebars from the middle or from the outside edge.
On a related note has anybody had any experience of THESE or THESE.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
no idea, no & no.

sorry.

vickster

Legendary Member
Presuming you have Giant bars at the moment, why not measure them and then compare against the spec?

I don't think cheap carbon bars are much cop from what I've read

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Presuming you have Giant bars at the moment, why not measure them and then compare against the spec?

I don't think cheap carbon bars are much cop from what I've read
That was a blooming good idea vickster, they are the stock bars and it would appear that it's an internal measurement!
Have you read reviews on the Chinese carbon bars, could you point me towards them please?

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just feedback on here

What are you trying to achieve with the bars?
I want to go a bit wider, so I'm just having a mooch about and thought the Chinese carbon were a good price, though in all honesty I did suspect that they may be a little too good to be true, but it's always worth asking.

Cyclist33

About the only thing I actively dislike about my lovely Giant, is the esoteric handlebar width. I measured mine (outer diameter) at 26.0mm which isn't even one of the two more common standards!

If I were you and getting a new handlebar, I would get 31.8mm ("oversize") as 90% of bikes run this size now, and then invest in an appropriately sized stem, and chuck the Giant's own set into a bin of crap at the back of the shed.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
About the only thing I actively dislike about my lovely Giant, is the esoteric handlebar width. I measured mine (outer diameter) at 26.0mm which isn't even one of the two more common standards!

If I were you and getting a new handlebar, I would get 31.8mm ("oversize") as 90% of bikes run this size now, and then invest in an appropriately sized stem, and chuck the Giant's own set into a bin of crap at the back of the shed.
I've always felt a little squeezed by it and as the tape need replacing I thought I may as well do the bars and the stem at the same time :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
There's another wheel upgrade coming up for it too, so be prepared for another one of "those" threads.

Cyclist33

I've always felt a little squeezed by it and as the tape need replacing I thought I may as well do the bars and the stem at the same time :thumbsup:

In that case, does it matter what the diameter of the Giant handlebar is? If you're doing both bars and stem...

I'm perfectly happy with the side to side width of my bars, just can't figure out why Giant specced a daft internal diameter.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Just re-read your post Cyclist and realised I didn't read it properly!
I want to go a bit wider side to side, not necessarily a bit fatter around.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I want to go a bit wider, so I'm just having a mooch about and thought the Chinese carbon were a good price, though in all honesty I did suspect that they may be a little too good to be true, but it's always worth asking.

You'd be better off with Ritchey WCS alloy bars. Almost as light as their carbon version, stiffer than the carbon, and at least half the price. I wouldn't be touching cheap Chinese carbon bars. Any voids in the resin could be dangerous.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
You'd be better off with Ritchey WCS alloy bars. Almost as light as their carbon version, stiffer than the carbon, and at least half the price. I wouldn't be touching cheap Chinese carbon bars. Any voids in the resin could be dangerous.
They look spanking fossyant, thank you very much :thumbsup:

Top Bottom